As if chocolate chip cookies couldn’t get any better, I went and stuffed them with Nutella! These Nutella stuffed chocolate chip cookies are ooey gooey and so easy to make. The cookies are also baked with brown butter for an extra layer of delicious flavor!
How to make nutella stuffed cookies
Stuffing cookies with Nutella is actually much easier and cleaner than you might be thinking. The trick to a mess-free stuffed cookie is a large cookie scoop!
You first start by freezing the Nutella. Dollop 12 heaping teaspoons onto a plate lined with wax paper and pop it in the freezer. By the time you’re done making the cookie dough, the Nutella will be firm and easy to pick up.
To make the cookie dough, you must prep the brown butter first. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat and keep stirring until it turns a rich amber color. Let that cool before starting the dough.
To stuff the cookie dough, simply fill your cookie scoop about half way with the dough and press your thumb into the center to create a well. Press the frozen piece of Nutella into the center and cover the top with more cookie dough.
It’s important to make sure all edges are sealed so the Nutella doesn’t leak out while baking.
Scoop the stuffed cookie dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake!
What makes these the best nutella stuffed cookies
Not to toot my own horn, but these are probably the best Nutella stuffed chocolate chip cookies you can make at home. They’re gooey, full of flavor, and over flowing with Nutella!
Using brown butter in the cookie dough makes all the difference. It adds a rich flavor that works so well with the Nutella. The cookies are also loaded with chocolate chunks so with every bite, you get a pool of Nutella AND chocolate.
Most importantly, these cookies are so easy to make. From the butter to the dough to the stuffing process. Using a large cookie scoop ensures all the cookies are evenly stuffed and you won’t get dough all over your hands.
Above all, there’s no fridge time! Most cookie recipes require at least 4 hours of refrigeration (which I am so guilty of) but I wanted to make sure these cookies were quick and easy to make. Stuffing cookies, or any dessert for that matter, shouldn’t seem like or be a daunting task.
How to bake nutella stuffed cookies
When I was testing these cookies, the bake time and temperature made a world of a difference. I found that baking these cookies at a higher temperature is the key to keeping that gooey center.
These cookies are baked at 375F for a short amount of time. This allows the edges to bake through while the center stays nice and soft. The Nutella remains in tact without getting TOO melty.
Another bonus is that they don’t spread too much in the oven. Meaning, you can bake about 6 cookies at a time on a large cookie sheet. In just two baking batches, you’ll have a dozen quick and easy Nutella stuffed cookies!
The best time to serve nutella stuffed chocolate chip cookies
Now, we all know there’s nothing better than a fresh and warm chocolate chip cookie and these are no exception.
The best time to eat these cookies is shortly after they’ve been baked. Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack, sprinkle them with a little sea salt, and let them cool for about 15 minutes before digging in.
If you need to keep some for later, they also warm up in the microwave very easily! Heat them for about 15 seconds and they’ll go back to being as warm and melty as they were fresh from the oven.
You can enjoy them when they’ve completely cooled, they just won’t keep that same ooey gooey consistency. But after all, a Nutella stuffed cookie is still a damn good cookie no matter when you eat it!
For more stuffed dessert recipes, check out my:
- White Chocolate Brownies Stuffed with Reese’s
- Nutella Stuffed Deep Dish Cookie
- Caramel Stuffed Nutella Truffles
Make sure to tag me @butternutbakery on Instagram or leave a comment below if you make these Nutella Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies. I love seeing my recipes come to life in YOUR kitchen! To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card, the buttons above or below this post, or on any of the photos above. Happy baking!Print
These Nutella stuffed chocolate chip cookies are cookie HEAVEN! They’re ooey gooey in the center and baked with brown butter for a rich flavor.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, browned and cooled
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 oz dark chocolate, finely chopped
- Roughly 1/3 cup Nutella
- Flaky sea salt for sprinkling
- Start by prepping the Nutella. Line a plate with wax paper and dollop 12 heaping teaspoons onto the plate. Pop it in the freezer while you start on the dough.
- To brown the butter, melt it in a saucepan over medium-high heat until it reaches a deep amber color and gives off a nutty aroma. This takes about 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer to a heat proof container, scraping the bottom of the pan, and let the butter cool. It should be a little warm to the touch when you start making the dough.
- Preheat the oven to 375F and line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- For the dough, mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Once cooled, mix together the brown butter and sugar using an electric mixer. Mix for about a minute but it won’t fully come together. It will remain a little clumpy which is fine.
- Next, mix in the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla.
- Mix in the dry ingredients then fold in the chopped chocolate.
- Using a large cookie scoop, fill it about half way with the cookie dough then press your thumb in the center to create a well. By this time, the Nutella should be solid enough to pick up. Press a dollop of frozen Nutella into the center then cover with more cookie dough. Make sure you create a tight seal so the Nutella doesn’t melt out.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. The center will still look a little doughy. Transfer to a cooling rack and sprinkle with a little sea salt while they’re still warm.
- After about 10-15 minutes, you’re ready to dig in. Enjoy!
Keywords: nutella stuffed cookies, nutella stuffed chocolate chip cookies