Homemade cinnamon rolls sound like such a daunting task. Why make cinnamon rolls from scratch when you can bake them from a can? Well I’m here to squash that notion. That’s why I made this recipe for EASY homemade cinnamon rolls so you can have delicious cinnamon rolls without all the work.
What makes this an easy cinnamon roll recipe?
They’re easy because you can have delicious homemade cinnamon rolls in 4 simple steps!
You start by adding all of your wet ingredients to a bowl fitted with the dough hook. Toss in the flour and salt and run the mixer on medium speed until a smooth ball of dough forms.
Let the dough rest for about an hour then roll it out, spread on your filling, slice, place in your baking pan, and let them rise again for about 45 minutes.
Once those 45 minutes are up, place them in the fridge overnight. Yes, these are even easy overnight cinnamon rolls!
Bake them the next morning and top with the maple cream cheese icing. Oh yeah, did I forgot to leave out that part??
Delicious maple cream cheese icing
I’ll try to sneak in some maple to almost anything…ESPECIALLY cinnamon rolls. This cinnamon roll cream cheese icing has the perfect consistency. It’s not too thick like frosting but also not too thin like a glaze.
With your cream cheese and butter are at room temperature, this icing comes together in no time. Just whisk all of the ingredients together and spread it over your warm cinnamon rolls.
This recipe also makes plenty because I am all about drowning my cinnamon rolls in cream cheese icing. Add as much or as little as you like!
Easy cinnamon roll filling
Spreading the filling onto the cinnamon roll dough has got to be my favorite part of this process. It’s so smooth and satisfying!
I like to make the filling right when I let the dough rest the first time around. That’s because I start with melted butter instead of room temperature.
I mix the melted butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon together then place it in the fridge to thicken. This creates the perfect consistency to spread onto the dough without tearing it.
As the rolls bake, the filling will slowly melt into the bottom of the roll. This creates and sticky bun-like base that is absolutely amazing.
It makes the bottoms perfectly ooey gooey, make this easy cinnamon roll recipe EVEN BETTER.
Tips to making perfect cinnamon rolls every time
Cinnamon rolls can be easy to make, but can also be pretty finicky. Here are some tips to help you make perfect cinnamon rolls:
- Make sure your milk is warm and that all other ingredients are at room temperature. The milk should be warm to the touch, but not hot. This ensures the yeast will activate properly.
- Don’t overwork your dough. Just mix it until it comes together. Overworking the gluten will lead to tough cinnamon rolls.
- Leave a 1/2 inch gap around the edge of your dough when spreading the filling. This will prevent the filling from spilling out.
- Cut your rolls with flavorless floss. You’ll get perfectly sliced rolls instead of smooshing them with a knife.
- Leave some space between your rolls in the baking pan. They’ll grow when proofing and also when baked.
For even more delicious breakfast and brunch recipes:
Make sure to tag me @butternutbakery on Instagram if you make these EASY Homemade Cinnamon Rolls. I love seeing my recipes come to life in YOUR kitchen! To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card, the buttons above or below this post, or on any of the photos above. Happy baking!
Shop the post
These easy cinnamon rolls prove that homemade cinnamon rolls don’t have to be a lot of work! They come together in 5 simple steps and make for perfectly gooey cinnamon rolls.
Cinnamon Roll Dough
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast (about 1 packet)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temp
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 5 cups all-purpose flour, plus more if needed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tbsp cinnamon
Maple Cream Cheese Icing
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temp
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, add in the milk, yeast, sugar, eggs, and butter. Make sure the milk is warm and that the butter isn’t too hot.
- Add in the flour and salt and turn the mixer on medium speed. As it starts to come together, turn the speed up to medium-high until you get a smooth ball of dough.
- The dough should be tacky but not sticky. If it’s too sticky, add in 1/4 cup of flour at a time until you reach the perfect consistency.
- Place your dough in a well-greased bowl and over in plastic wrap. Let it rise for 1 hour.
- While the dough rests, make the filling. Mix together the butter, sugar, and cinnamon then place it in the fridge to thicken.
- Roll your dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll it out to 18×12 inches. Spread the filling, leaving about 1/2 inch bare around the edge of the dough.
- Roll it up from the 18 inch slice into 12 pieces. I recommend using flavorless floss to make perfect cuts.
- Place your rolls into a greased 13×9 baking pan, cover in plastic wrap, and let it rise again at room temperature for 45 minutes.
- Once risen, you can bake them right away or place them in the fridge overnight to bake in the morning.
- If waiting for the next morning, bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes. If baking right away, bake for 20-25 minutes.
- While the rolls bake, make the icing. Whisk together the cream cheese and butter. Then mix in the powdered sugar until smooth. Finally, mix in the maple syrup and cinnamon.
- Spread the icing into the warm cinnamon rolls and enjoy!
Keywords: cinnamon rolls, easy cinnamon rolls
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting Butternut Bakery.