Ah, banana bread. Love it. Need it. Gotta have it. It’s easily one of my top favorite desserts, mainly because it tastes delicious but without the guilt of eating actual cake. You can have it in the winter, you can have it in the summer, you can have it for breakfast, you can have it for dessert, you can eat one slice, you can have the whole loaf. There’s no judgement here! But I don’t need to sell you on this, we all know it’s amazing.
Now that I’ve confessed my love for banana bread, let’s talk about my obsession with CHOCOLATE and banana. But not just any chocolate. I’m talking dark, rich chocolate that’s the perfect compliment to anything sweet. To me, there’s no other chocolate out there which is why I added a swirl of Lekkco to this banana bread. It’s a smooth Belgian dark chocolate spread that’s all natural, nut free, dairy free, gluten free, and vegan. That means it’s *technically* healthy, right? Not to mention the taste! You know when you whip up a box of brownie mix (no shame, it’s the best) and you lick the bowl clean after pouring out the batter? That’s what Lekkco tastes like. Naturally, I had to pair to two. I mean the flavor of brownie mix with the flavor and texture of banana bread? It’s a match made in bread heaven.
Moist banana bread swirled with Belgian dark chocolate
- 3 ripe bananas*
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup unsalted butter (room temp)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour*
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Lekkco Belgian Dark Chocolate Spread
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Grease a 9×5 bread pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. Start by mashing up the bananas with a fork in a medium sized bowl. Stir in the buttermilk and oil and set aside. In another medium sized bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. Using a hand or stand mixer and a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars. Once smooth and well combined, mix in the eggs and vanilla. Switch to a wooden spoon or rubber spatula and mix in the banana mixture until fully incorporated. Slowly fold in the dry ingredients but be careful not to over mix. Fold the batter until it’s just combined.
- In a microwave safe bowl, microwave the Lekkco for 30 seconds. Scoop out 2/3 cup of the banana batter and mix it in with the melted Lekkco. It will come out a little thin but that’s OK. Now you should be left with a small bowl of the chocolate bananan batter and a larger bowl of plain banana batter.
- For the swirled effect, start by spreading a thin layer of the plain batter on the bottom of the bread pan. Then add large scoops of the two batters, alternating until you run out. Take a knife and swirl around the batter in the bread pan until you get a marbled effect.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. I recommend starting at 40 minutes and then keeping an eye on it until it’s ready to come out. Let it cool in the pan for about 30 minutes before removing it. Slice it up, spread a little extra Lekkco on top, and enjoy!
*If you don’t have ripe bananas, bake them in an oven set to 300F for 20-30 minutes or until they’re completely brown. That’s what I did!
*You can use just all-purpose flour or just whole wheat. It won’t make or break the recipe.
Keywords: banana bread, chocolate and banana recipes