Moist banana bread baked with dark chocolate and chocolate chips. See recipe notes for vegan option!
- 1 1/2 cups (380g) ripe bananas, mashed and measured (3–4 bananas)
- 1/2 cup (100g) light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) any mild oil (canola, vegetable, almond, avocado…etc)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (130g) Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 3/4 cups (225g) all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (40g) Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa powder, sifted (or any unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (160g) semisweet mini chocolate chips + 1/2 cup for sprinkling on top*
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Grease a 9×5 loaf pan and line with a sheet of parchment paper, covering the bottom and two longest sides of the pan with some overhang.
- Finely mash the bananas and measure to ensure you have exactly 1 1/2 cups. If you’re a hair short, fill the rest with unsweetened applesauce.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, sugar, and oil. Mix in the eggs, vanilla, and sour cream until smooth. Then mix in the mashed banana.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt and whisk until smooth. If it gets too thick for the whisk, switch to a rubber spatula.
- Fold in the chocolate chips with the spatula.
- Pour into the loaf pan and spread it even. Sprinkle more chocolate chips on top to completely cover the surface.
- Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. It should puff up in the center with a large crack down the middle.
- Allow the bread to cool for about 30-45 minutes in the pan and then lift it out, slice, and enjoy!
VEGAN – To make vegan, replace the eggs with two flax eggs. Mix 2 tbsp ground flax with 5 tbsp water. Let it sit for 10 minutes to gel and thicken before use. Replace the yogurt with coconut cream (the thick substance at the top of a can of full fat coconut milk), the oil with melted coconut oil, and the chocolate chips with vegan chocolate chips such as Enjoy Life. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. It will turn out a bit more dense, but still just as delicious.
CHOCOLATE CHIPS – I prefer mini chocolate chips, but you can use any kind you like.
Keywords: chocolate banana bread, vegan banana bread, dark chocolate banana bread, banana bread