This chocolate peppermint bundt cake is the perfect Holiday dessert! It has a moist chocolate cake with a shiny chocolate peppermint ganache on top.
Chocolate Bundt Cake
- 3 tbsp melted shortening, for the pan
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 tsp instant espresso powder
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup 2% Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Chocolate Peppermint Ganache
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Using a pastry brush, coat the inside of our bundt pan with the melted shortening. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat the butter, cocoa powder, milk, and espresso and until melted. Stir continuously so the bottom doesn’t burn. Take it off the heat and let it cool for about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add your sugar, flour, baking soda, and salt and whisk together. I recommend using an electric mixer so that you can slowly pour in the chocolate mixture as it mixes. If you don’t have one, you can incorporate the chocolate mixture in batches using a whisk until it’s fully combined.
- Next, mix in the eggs, greek yogurt, and vanilla. Pour the batter into your prepared bundt pan and bake on the middle rack for 35-40 minutes. Start at 35 and if it’s not done, keeping baking a minute at a time until it’s done. You want a toothpick to come out with a few moist crumbs.
- Allow your bundt cake to cool in the pan for about 45 minutes. Then, turn it out onto a cooling rack to let it cool completely. You can also make the cake a day ahead in which case, you would store it in the fridge at this point.
- Once the cake is cooled, make the ganache. Place the chocolate, corn syrup, and sugar in a bowl. In a separate bowl, heat the heavy cream in the microwave for about 1 minute. You want it to be steaming and hot. Pour it over the chocolate mixture and let it sit for about 1 minute. Then, mix it together until smooth and glossy.
- Mix in the peppermint extract and immediately pour it over your bundt cake. If needed, you can use the back of a spoon to push some of the ganache over the edges so it can drip down the sides.
- Crush your candy canes and sprinkle on top right before you serve the cake. Store in an air tight container at room temperature for 1 day or in the fridge for up to a week. Enjoy!
Keywords: bundt cake, chocolate bundt cake, chocolate peppermint bundt cake