This chocolate peppermint bundt cake is the perfect Holiday dessert! It has a moist chocolate cake with a shiny chocolate peppermint ganache.
Chocolate Bundt Cake
- 3 tbsp melted shortening, for the pan
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup dutch processed cocoa powder*
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 tsp instant espresso powder
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup full fat Greek yogurt, or sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Chocolate Peppermint Ganache
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 tsp light corn syrup
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 4 candy canes, crushed*
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Using a pastry brush, coat the inside of the bundt pan with the melted shortening. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat the butter, cocoa powder, milk, and espresso until melted. Stir continuously so the bottom doesn’t burn. Remove from the heat and let it cool for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, baking soda, and salt. I recommend using an electric mixer so that it’s easy to slowly pour in the chocolate mixture as it mixes. If you don’t have one, you can incorporate the chocolate in batches, using a whisk until it’s fully combined.
- Next, mix in the eggs, yogurt, and vanilla.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake on the middle rack for 35-40 minutes. Bake until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 20 minutes. Then, turn it out onto a cooling rack to let it cool completely. If you choose to make the cake a day ahead, allow it cool completely at room temperature and then store the cake in the refrigerator in an air tight container.
- Once the cake is cooled, make the ganache. Place the chocolate, corn syrup, and sugar in a bowl. In a separate bowl, heat the heavy cream in the microwave for about 1 minute. You want it to be steaming hot. Pour it over the chocolate mixture and let it sit for about 1 minute. Then, mix it together until smooth and glossy.
- Mix in the peppermint extract and immediately pour it over the cake. If needed, you can use the back of a spoon to push some of the ganache over the edges so it can drip down the sides.
- Sprinkle the candy canes on top right before serving the cake. Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator.
COCOA POWDER – If you don’t have dutch processed, you can also use dark cocoa powder or regular.
CANDY CANES – Only add the candy canes when you’re ready to serve the cake. Otherwise, they will melt into the chocolate if left overnight.
Keywords: chocolate bundt cake, chocolate peppermint bundt cake, bundt cake recipe, bundt cake