This Lemon Blueberry Loaf recipe is so tender and loaded with fresh blueberries and zesty lemon flavor! Topped with a layer of crumble and a lemon icing drizzle, this loaf cake is NEXT LEVEL good.
WHAT YOU NEED unsalted butter granulated sugar all purpose flour kosher salt lemons baking powder vanilla extract large eggs milk fresh blueberries powdered sugar
1. To make the crumble, mix together all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Place in the refrigerator while we make the batter. 2. Prep a loaf pan. In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, add the sugar and zest. Using your fingers, rub the two together to release even more lemon flavor. Now add in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix to combine.
3. With the mixer running on medium low speed, drop in the softened butter 1 tablespoon at a time. Mix until it turns crumbly. 4. Scrape down the bowl and mix in the vanilla, followed by the eggs one at a time. Then mix in the lemon juice followed by the milk. Remove the bowl from the mixer and scrape down the bowl to make sure there’s no unmixed bits at the bottom.
5. For the blueberries, pick out any stems and rinse with water. Then toss with 1 tablespoon of flour. The flour should easily stick to the wet berries, creating a coating of flour around each berry.
6. Toss the berries into the batter and gently fold them in. Fold just enough to evenly distribute.
7. Pour the batter into the prepped loaf pan and spread even. Top with a handful of extra berries, followed by a layer of the chilled crumble. 8. Bake for 50 min – 1 hour or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean with a few moist crumbs. The loaf should also appear golden around the edges and puffed up in the center. Allow the loaf to cool for about 45 minutes at room temperature.
9. Once the loaf has cooled, make the lemon icing. Whisk together all of the ingredients until it turns into a glue-like consistency. If it’s too thick, mix in an extra bit of liquid. If it’s too fluid, mix in another spoonful of sugar. 10. Lift the loaf out of the pan and drizzle with the icing. Now slice and enjoy!