In my last post I said that Bomb Diggity reminds me of home but THIS…this makes me feel like I’m there. I grew up in an itty bitty farm town in central Illinois where we had two “big” events every year: Fall Fest and Strawberry Fest. I went to Fall Fest for funnel cake but I went to Strawberry Fest for their notorious Strawberry Pizza. I mean the whole town scrambled to get a slice before it sold out. If it wasn’t for this pizza, I don’t think I’d have any other reason to go…even though it was just a short walk across town from my house to the square.
A group of people would come together to make these pizzas at one of the towns churches to help raise money for Boy Scouts. Some people were lucky enough to actually have the recipe for this pizza. I thought that my mom or my sister would have gotten their hands on it but unfortunately, we weren’t the lucky ones. So I did my best to recreate it exactly how I remember it. I’d be surprised if the actual recipe wasn’t almost identical to this one. It tastes just like the real Strawberry Pizza…the buttery crust, rich cream cheese, and the jelly/strawberry top. Ugh, it’s so good!
Strawberry pizza made with a butter crust, cream cheese spread, fresh strawberries, and strawberry sauce.
- 1 cup unsalted butter (cold and cut into cubes)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
Cream Cheese Spread
- 8 oz cream cheese (room temp)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2–3 cups fresh strawberries (sliced)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 small box of strawberry jello mix
- Preheat oven to 350F. For the crust, add the cubed butter, sugar, and flour to a large bowl. Combine using a pastry cutter or your hands until it forms large pea-sized crumbles. Dumb the loose dough out onto an 8 inch pizza pan and press it down to the edges. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Once the crust has COMPLETELY cooled, start on the cream cheese spread. Using a hand or stand mixer, cream together the room temperature cream cheese and sugar. Once smooth, mix in the vanilla and lemon juice. Spread it evenly onto the cooled crust. Lay the strawberry slices on top.
- For the sauce, place the water, sugar, and cornstarch in a medium saucepan on medium heat. Stir occasionally but keep an eye on it. It should become clear and thick when it’s done. Take it off the heat and mix in the strawberry jello mix. Let it cool to room temperature before spreading on top of the pizza. I recommend using a measuring cup and placing a couple scoops in the middle of the pizza and spreading it to the edges until all strawberries are covered.
- Place it in the refridgerator and serve cold.
Keywords: strawberry pizza, summer recipes, strawberry recipes