This strawberry pizza is my FAVORITE type of fruit pizza! It’s the perfect combination of sweet berries and smooth cream with a buttery shortbread crust, sweet cream cheese spread, fresh strawberries, and a strawberry jelly sauce on top.
What makes this the BEST fruit pizza?
So much time and love went into developing this recipe because it’s something that is very near and dear to me.
Growing up in a very small town in the midwest, my community held 2 major events every year – Fall Festival and Strawberry Festival. Can you guess which one this originates from?
Every Strawberry Festival, the Boy Scouts would make the most amazing strawberry pizzas that they would sell to raise money. Let me tell you, these were the talk of the town EVERY single year and the boys made bank. The pizza slices were always served frozen (which was perfect to beat the June humidity), and they had a cookie-like shortbread crust, sweet cream cheese spread, strawberry slices, and strawberry jello to encase the berries.
I should also mention that this recipe was top secret. Barely anyone had it and if they did, they were very hush hush about sharing it. Many people would go as far as to buy a few full size pizzas just to keep in their freezers year round!
So after lots of trial and error, I think I finally nailed down a recipe that’s nearly identical to the original…maybe even better??
My recipe has a buttery shortbread crust made with actual butter for the best flavor (because I believe they used shortening the OG), super smooth and sweetened cream cheese spread, EXTRA strawberry slices, and a glossy strawberry sauce that’s thick but not bouncy like jello. It’s smooth and sweet and the perfect topping for this strawberry pizza.
How to make strawberry pizza
This strawberry pizza is comprised of 4 layers:
- Shortbread Crust – This is a simple crust made up of 3 ingredients; flour, powdered sugar, and butter. These can either be mashed together by hand or pulsed in a food processor. Either way, it turns into a crumbly dough that’s pressed into a round pizza crust and baked to golden perfection.
- Cream Cheese Spread – This simple spread is made up of cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice for some extra tang! Using room temperature cream cheese, everything is mixed by hand and spread on top of a completely cooled shortbread crust. It’s important that the crust is cooled otherwise the cream cheese will melt!
- Strawberry Sauce – This is a unique component of this strawberry pizza because it’s almost too thick to be a sauce but definitely not jiggly like jello. It’s made up of water, sugar, cornstarch, and strawberry jello mix for added flavor and color. Once it’s cooled, it turns incredibly thick and spreadable as it’s the next layer on top of the cream cheese.
- Strawberries – Of course, this isn’t a fruit pizza without the fruit! Sliced strawberries are nestled on top of the sauce layer. To lock everything in place, more sauce is brushed on top. It’s thinned out with just a bit of water to reach the perfect syrup-like consistency.
After everything has chilled and set together, this pizza is ready to slice and serve!
Strawberry Pizza FAQs
The dough for the crust should be fairly crumbly, like pie dough, but still sticky enough to hold its shape when packed together. If it turns TOO crumbly, this could be a flour issue. Always weigh your ingredients for accuracy but if you prefer cups, spoon the flour into the measuring cup and level it off for a true cup of flour. Don’t shake it down, pack it in, or scoop directly into the flour as this will leave you with way too much excess flour.
This is all about preference! The original Boy Scouts pizza sold at Strawberry Fest was always served frozen, but it can also be served chilled from the refrigerator. Either way, it’ll hold its shape!
If you plan to keep it around for just a couple days, store the pizza in the refrigerator in an air tight container. Otherwise, keep the pizza in the freezer were it will keep for a couple months. Simply let it freeze uncovered until solid, then wrap it in foil and continue to freeze.
For more strawberry dessert recipes, check out my:
- Fresh Strawberry Sheet Cake
- Strawberry Cupcakes (with roasted strawberries!)
- Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
- Strawberry Layer Cake
- Strawberry Pretzel Tart
Make sure to tag me @butternutbakery on Instagram or leave a comment below if you make this strawberry pizza. I love seeing my recipes come to life in YOUR kitchen! To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card, the buttons above or below this post, or on any of the photos above. Happy baking!