This chocolate banana skillet cake is so warm and comforting! It has a moist banana chocolate cake baked with a fudgy layer of Chocolate SunButter in the center. This recipe is also completely vegan and gluten free but can be made regular as well! Serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream to get the most out of this delicious skillet cake.
Easy chocolate banana skillet cake
This might just be one of the easiest recipes on my website! The batter comes together in minutes and requires a few simple ingredients.
The batter is also mostly made up of ripe mashed bananas. This not only adds natural sweetness, but it also binds the cake and makes it extra moist! Because of this, no eggs are used which makes it a completely vegan skillet cake recipe.
This cake can also be made regular or gluten free! Just use either a cup for cup gluten free baking flour or a regular all purpose flour. Either route will lead you to a moist and tender banana chocolate cake.
Skillet cake fudge filling
To bump up that chocolate flavor, the center of the batter is filled with a layer of Chocolate SunButter.
This chocolate spread is SO smooth and creamy and it’s perfectly sweetened. And unlike other chocolate spreads, it doesn’t contain palm oil or other unnecessary ingredients. It’s just roasted sunflower seeds, sugar, chocolate, cocoa powder, salt, and vanilla!
Half of the batter is spread into the skillet and a thick layer of Chocolate SunButter is drizzled on top. Then the rest of the batter is spread in an even layer before baking! It adds a delicious fudgy center to make this cake extra rich and indulgent. Feel free to lick that SunButter spoon clean when you’re done!
Chocolate skillet cake baking tips
This cake is ready to eat in about an hour so it’s quick and easy! But to ensure yours turns out perfectly soft and moist, here are my top tips:
- Flour – I always recommend weighing the flour for accuracy. If that’s not an option for you, spoon the flour into your measuring cup and level it off. Never scoop directly into the flour as this will pack it down into the cup.
- Banana – Measure the mashed banana to exactly 1 1/2 cups. Bananas can vary in sizes, so 4 bananas to you could be too little or too much.
- Chocolate SunButter – Give the jar a good mix before drizzling it on the batter. This will ensure it’s perfectly smooth and creamy throughout.
- Layering – For the final layer of batter, I like to fill up my rubber spatula and gently cascade the batter over the layer of SunButter. This will prevent the batter from disturbing that fudgy layer.
- Baking – 30 minutes is the perfect amount for this cake. But to make sure it’s ready, tap the center of the cake. If it feels too wet, keep baking for another 3-5 minutes. If the surface is dry and evenly puffed, it’s ready.
- Cooling – This cake is best served warm so let it rest at room temperature for about 30 minutes, then dig in!
Chocolate Banana Skillet Cake FAQs
Use regular unsweetened cocoa powder, not dutch process.
Oil is what makes this cake extra moist and rich, so sub in a different oil instead of butter. This recipe will work with any mild-flavored oil like vegetable or even olive oil.
That’s ok! You can leave the top of the cake bare or swirl in even more Chocolate SunButter.
This batter will also work in a 9×9 baking pan or a 9″ springform pan, it will just need a little bit more time in the oven.
Serve it warm and it can either be sliced into like a regular cake or scooped into like a cobbler. Either way, I highly recommend eating a warm slice with vanilla ice cream!
For more gluten free banana desserts, check out my:
- Gluten Free Banana Bread
- Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
- Healthy Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Bars
- Vegan Banana Snack Cake
Make sure to tag me @butternutbakery on Instagram and leave a review below if you make this banana skillet cake. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card, the buttons above or below this post, or on any of the photos above. Happy baking!Print