I’m not sure what’s come over me but I can’t get enough of dark chocolate. Milk or semi-sweet were always my go-to’s but now I add dark chocolate to just about anything! So the obvious route was to make some dark chocolate brownies. What I love about these brownies is that they’re the perfect balance of chocolatey and sweet without being too rich. I also opted for whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose. To be honest, I just used it because I have a full bag that I’ll rarely use and I didn’t want it to go to waste. Luckily the risk paid off because I love what it did to these brownies! The whole wheat flour gave it more of a chew and created a texture that’s a mix between fudgy and cakey brownies. I’ve always said that it’s tough to find a homemade brownie that competes with box mix brownies but I think they’ve finally met their match!
Rich, thick, and fudgy dark chocolate brownies
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter (melted)
- 6 oz dark chocolate
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 whole eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup dutch process cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease and line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper. Using a microwave safe bowl, melt the butter and chocolate together in 30 second increments. It should take about 90 seconds total. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugars. Vigorously whisk for 2-3 minutes. This is what gives that paper thin crust on top of the brownies. Whisk in the vanilla and butter/chocolate mixture. Once that’s fully combined, use a rubber spatula or wooden spoon to fold in the dry ingredients, being careful not to over mix.
- Spread the batter evenly in your prepared pan and bake for 25-28 minutes. Let them completely cool before removing from the pan. These are thick and fudgy so I recommend using a large knife to cut the brownies, wiping the knife between each cut. Now refrain yourself from eating the whole pan!
Keywords: brownies, brownie recipes, dark chocolate brownies