If you’re on the hunt for the BEST chocolate chip banana bread…then look no further. This one is so incredibly moist, flavorful, and loaded with chocolate chips. Forget about any other chocolate chip banana bread recipe because this is all you’ll ever need!
How to make the BEST chocolate chip banana bread
I know, we all hate the word moist but there’s just no other word that better describes this banana bread. It’s tough to even categorize this as “bread” because of how soft and lush it is. Especially with those mini chocolate chips sprinkled throughout.
To make this recipe, I essentially modified by pumpkin bread recipe because it’s just so good. If it can make life-changing pumpkin bread, why can’t it make life-changing chocolate chip banana bread? Hypothesis confirmed. It sure can.
There are a few things to keep in mind to ensure your bread turns out perfect:
- MEASURE the bananas. I recommend about 3 medium bananas but you will still need to measure them out to make sure you have the right amount.
- If you come up a bit short with your measurement, top it off with some applesauce.
- Scoop and level your flour. By that I mean, spoon the flour into your measuring cup then level it off with a flat edge. This will ensure you don’t use too much.
- Fully cream together your butter and sugar. Really whisk together the two ingredients until you reach a thick paste-like consistency. You can either do this by hand or with a mixer.
- To get the chips on top, sprinkle on an extra handful before baking.
- Bake for 1 hour and check for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center. If the center is still wet, bake in 5 minute intervals until done.
So that’s that. These few simple tips will ensure your chocolate chip banana bread turns out soft and moist every time.
The secret to super moist banana bread
The “secret” to getting moist chocolate chip banana bread is really just a couple simple ingredients. The main two being melted butter and Greek yogurt.
Using melted butter, as opposed to room temperature, helps to soaks up all the flour which gives you that smooth texture. The Greek yogurt adds even MORE moisture while still providing structure. It’s my secret ingredient in so many of my dessert recipes.
Another reason why Greek yogurt works so well here is because its flavor. Greek yogurt is slightly sour which helps to balance out the sweetness of the bananas, chocolate, and sugar.
It’s also very thick and contains less water than regular yogurt. This is the reason why I love baking with it so much, it provides tons of moisture without thinning the batter too much.
But if you don’t have Greek yogurt available near you, sour cream will also do the trick.
We can’t forget about the bananas. You have to add just enough to get that strong flavor but too much can turn your banana bread into banana pudding (trust me, it’s happened to me before). Getting the perfect balance of flour, butter, yogurt and banana is the key to getting deliciously moist chocolate chip banana bread.
How to ripen bananas for chocolate chip banana bread
Don’t have ripe bananas on hand? There are a few ways you can speed up the ripening process to make your bananas perfect for banana bread!
- The night before, break apart your bananas and place them in a brown paper bag. It blocks just enough oxygen which allows the bananas to release a chemical called ethylene. This is what speeds up the ripening process.
- Place them on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes at 300F. They’re ready when they’ve turned COMPLETELY brown. Let them cool before using.
- If you’re in a pinch, you can microwave your bananas. Pierce the banana with a fork a few times and microwave it for 30 seconds – 1 minute.
- Lastly, your best bet to find already ripe bananas is to look for single bananas at the grocery store. They usually keep a pile at the bottom of the banana display.
And there you have it! Ripe bananas that are going to make your chocolate chip banana bread extra delicious.
If you already have frozen ripe bananas, you can also use those. Just leave them out for about 30 minutes to 1 hour in order to thaw before using.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe: Frequently Asked Questions
I have not tested this specific recipe, but I have a delicious recipe for gluten free banana bread that’s just as moist! Just add chocolate chips.
If you don’t have Greek yogurt or sour cream, you can also use plain unsweetened yogurt.
Sugar plays a big role in the moist texture of this bread. Adjusting it will likely change the banana bread. For a refined sugar free option, try swapping all of the sugar with coconut sugar.
This is likely due to two missteps: 1. You over mixed the batter. Over mixing develops the gluten strands in the flour, creating a more dense and heavy batter. Mix just until the ingredients are combined. This is why it’s important to mix the batter by hand. 2. Your pan is too small. 9×5 loaf pans can vary in size, as mine is about 9.5x5x5 inches. If you have a smaller loaf pan, only fill the pan about 2/3 full. Any more than than and the center of the banana bread will have trouble baking all the way through.
If you just want plain banana bread, you can leave out the chocolate chips. Alternatively, you can add nuts instead.
For even more banana bread recipes, check out my:
- Cinnamon Banana Bread
- Banana Bread Cheesecake Cups (Gluten Free & Dairy Free)
- Dark Chocolate Swirled Banana Bread
- Gluten Free Banana Bread
Watch how to make chocolate chip banana bread here:
Make sure to tag me @butternutbakery on Instagram if you make this chocolate chip banana bread recipe. I love seeing my recipes come to life in YOUR kitchen! To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card, the buttons above or below this post, or on any of the photos above. Happy baking!Print
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 1 loaf
This is the BEST chocolate chip banana bread. It’s incredibly moist, full of bananas, and loaded with chocolate chips.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 1 1/2 cups (380g) ripe and mashed banana (3-4 medium bananas), measured
- 1/2 cup (100g) packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (110g) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (130g) 2% Greek yogurt (sour cream also works)
- 1 1/3 cups (180g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup (140g) mini chocolate chips + a handful more for sprinkling on top
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Preheat your oven to 325F and grease and line a 9×5 loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the melted butter and sugars until you reach a paste-like consistency. This may take some vigorous whisking for a minute or two. You can either use a whisk or an electric mixer with the paddle attachment.
- Add in your mashed bananas followed by the eggs, yogurt, and vanilla.
- Once all of your wet ingredients are mixed together, fold in the dry ingredients. Then, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan and spread it even. Sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top if you like.
- Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs. Let it cool completely before removing from the pan. Store at room temperature in an air-tight container.
- Now dig in! Make sure to leave a comment below to let me know how it went!
*GLUTEN FREE OPTION – Use my gluten free banana bread recipe and add chocolate chips!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: banana bread, chocolate chip banana bread
I have tried many recipes, but this is by far the best. I have made this a few times & it always comes out really moist & looks great.
Normally I make banana bread out of obligation to the over ripe bananas in my kitchen. But the sour cream I substituted for yogurt made the banana taste so much more milder. This recipe is really really good!!
Just waiting for it to cool, did two of them and added chocolate chips for one and raisins for the other. I added cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg to them for a bit of spice. The smell is amazing in here let me tell you.
Guys, stop what you’re doing and make this RIGHT NOW. I’ve tried probably 10 different banana bread recipes and this is the best I’ve ever had. I let my bananas get completely brown and ended up closer to 2 cups banana instead of 1.5 and the bread turned out absolutely divine (I didn’t make any other changes) I’ve already sent this recipe to everyone I know telling them they HAVE to make it. I couldn’t recommend this enough!! I waited until the next morning to cut into it (not sure if this makes a difference at all) and it’s nearly all gone and it isn’t even noon yet!
Thank you so much!!
Great recipe! BTW, when you hit the option to double or triple the batch, the amount of Greek Yogurt/Sour Cream [1 1/2 cup (130g)] stays the same as for one single batch… is it meant to be like that or should it also be doubled/tripled? Thank you.
No I recommend manually doubling the ingredients! The software used for my recipe cards can be hit or miss when doubling the recipe.
Best banana bread recipe in the world. It’s on a constant rotation at my house and comes out perfectly every time! 10/10 rec, you won’t be disappointed.
I used oikos triple zero banana because it was all I had in the fridge. Hoping it comes out good still…
I made this with sour cream instead of yogurt and this was hands down the BEST Banana Bread I’ve ever eaten and ever made. It was a huge success!
Best banana bread I’ve made!!
I’ve tried this recipe so many times and I’ve never tasted anything better!
Sande Hill says
The bomb! I have been searching for the best chocolate chip banana bread recipe, and I am so happy to have found it! Everyone loves it!
I didn’t have a loaf pan that big…so I turned them into muffins!!! Made 20 regular muffins and cooked on 400 for 15-17 minutes!
Yay!! Glad it worked!!
My 17 year old daughter and I tripled your recipe and baked 5 mini loaves to distribute to our neighbors. A complete hit!!! I was skeptical about the melted butter part because I simply cream softened butter with sugar in my blender when I make cakes but it worked. Neighbors are asking for more!! Thank you.
Love this recipe. I make this bread for our high school wrestling team. Get rave comments everytime. I aways double recipe. I put in alittle extra chocolate chips. The sour cream makes the bread. Tastes like cake! Thanks so much. Definitely the best I ever had!
Exceptional banana bread! Moist and not overly sweet – perfect!
These banana muffins were amazing!!!
I added 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, 1 tsp cinnamon and greased 12 muffin tins.
They baked at 325° for 45 mins and were delicious.
I may reduce the sugars by 1/4 cup due to the bananas adding enough flavor.
Everyone loved the taste in the family of all age groups. Definitely a crowd pleaser and will save this recipe for future.
This was my first time making banana bread. Absolutely loved this recipe! My husband agreed! I don’t have a loaf pan so I just put parchment paper in a 7×11 glass baking dish and baked for about 50 minutes. Turned out wonderfully. I’ll never throw out my ripe bananas again.
Molly Cour says
Oh wow! I had the bottom of a bag of peanut butter chips and choc chips. I used both! Deeeee-lish!
This banana bread is so delicious it’s addicting. It is the only banana bread recipe I will use from now on.
Best banana bread recipe! Will definitely make it again. However, I cut down sugar to 80g, it worked just as good!
I am SO excited to make this recipe!!!
Has any one made this with dairy free yogurt? Curious if I can substitute! Thanks!
That should work ok!