These are the perfect vanilla cupcakes with a moist, bouncy, and tender texture, strong vanilla flavor, and silky vanilla bean buttercream. My goal was to match the texture of box cake mix and after almost 20 tests, this is the winning recipe!
WHAT YOU NEED Vanilla Cupcakes cake flour granulated sugar dry milk powder baking powder baking soda kosher salt unsalted butter vegetable oil warm water vinegar sour cream eggs vanilla bean paste Vanilla Buttercream unsalted butter powdered sugar milk vanilla bean paste
1. In a large bowl using a hand or stand mixer with the paddle attachment, combine the flour, sugar, milk powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. 2. Add the softened butter and oil and mix until everything is well combined, although the mixture itself should appear lumpy.
3. In a 2 cup measuring glass, beat together the water, vinegar, and sour cream until smooth. 4. Then beat in the eggs and vanilla. 5. Slowly pour in the wet ingredients. Pause pouring after about 1/2 cup is added to give the batter a chance to smooth out.
6. Distributive the batter between the liners. 7. Bake for 15 minutes then test for doneness. A toothpick should come out clean with a few moist crumbs. If they’re not done, bake for 1-2 additional minutes. 8. Transfer the cupcakes to the refrigerator, then make the frosting.
9. Using a hand or stand mixer with the paddle attachment, mix the butter until smooth. 10. Mix in 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time. When the buttercream starts to become dry and thick, add a tablespoon of milk in between cups. 11. After all the cups are mixed in and you’ve reached 3 tablespoons of milk, mix in the vanilla bean paste
12. 1. When the cupcakes are completely cooled, spread or pipe the frosting on top. Sprinkle with any topping of your choice and enjoy!