These moist chocolate cupcakes live up to their name with an incredibly rich and bouncy texture with delicious chocolate flavor. They’re also topped with a silky chocolate sour cream frosting that isn’t overly sweet!
Chocolate Cupcakes all purpose flour dark brown sugar granulated sugar dutch process baking powder baking soda baking powder salt vegetable oil eggs vanilla extract sour cream instant espresso powder Sour Cream Chocolate Frosting unsalted butter powdered sugar semisweet chocolate bitter chocolate light corn syrup sour cream vanilla extract chocolate sprinkles
1. Make the frosting. Mix the butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy. 2. Meanwhile, add the chocolate and corn syrup to a heat safe bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals until smooth, stirring between each interval. Then microwave the sour cream for about 30 seconds. 3. Mix the warm sour cream into the warm chocolate along with the vanilla. Stir to combine.
4. With the mixer running, slowly pour the chocolate into the sugar and butter. Mix until smooth. 5. The frosting should be pretty thin at this point, like the consistency of freshly made pudding. 6. Place the bowl into the refrigerator and allow the frosting to chill and thicken for about 45 minutes. Stir the frosting every so often to ensure it chills evenly.
7. To make the cupcakes, whisk together the flour, sugars, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. 8. In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, eggs, vanilla, and sour cream. In a measuring glass, combine the hot water and espresso powder. 9. Pour the oil mixture into the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Halfway through mixing, pour in the coffee mixture and continue to stir until smooth.
10. Distribute the batter between the liners, filling each halfway full. 11. Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until puffed and a toothpick in the center comes out clean with a few moist crumbs. 12. Transfer the cupcakes to a cooling rack as soon as possible, careful not to touch the pan as it will be very hot. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
13. By the time the cupcakes have cooled, the frosting should be thickened and spreadable. If it’s TOO thick, remove a few spoonfuls and microwave until thin and smooth. Then mix the warm frosting into the bowl of chilled frosting. 14. Frost with a piping tip or with a handmade swirl and top with sprinkles of choice. Enjoy!