These maple pecan sticky buns are delicious! Light and fluffy cinnamon rolls are baked with a caramelized maple pecan topping. They’re soft, sticky and loaded with savory crunchy pecans - the perfect sweet, sticky treat for fall.
WHAT YOU NEED all purpose flour granulated sugar instant yeast kosher salt ground cinnamon water milk European-style salted butter egg light brown sugar pecan halves pure maple syrup vanilla extract
1. Whisk together 2 cups of flour, sugar, yeast, salt & cinnamon. 2. Combine the water, milk and butter. Heat in the microwave until warm to the touch but not hot. The butter will not melt completely. 3. Pour into the dry ingredients with the egg and mix with a wooden spoon. Add in 2 more cups of flour and mix.
4. Add in 1/2 cup of flour and mix again. It should now turn shaggy and become difficult to stir. Use your hands to mix and knead the dough. 5. It will be sticky, so add another 1/4 cup of flour and continue to mix and knead by hand.
6. Shape it into a ball and let it rest uncovered for 10 minutes. 7. Pat it into a rough rectangle shape. Roll it into a rectangle. 8. Spread the room temperature butter into a thin and even layer, leaving a border all around the outside of the dough. 9. Sprinkle with the brown sugar and spread it even with your hand. Then top it with the cinnamon.
10. Roll the dough up into a log. Place your hands at each end of the log and give it a gentle squeeze in to compact the log of dough. 11. Use unflavored dental floss to cut the rolls. Slide it under the roll and toss both ends of the floss over top. Pull them through to create a cut. Cut off the two ends of the log and then cut the remainder into 12 pieces.
12. Combine the butter, maple syrup, and brown sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Melt down and stir until completely smooth. Remove from heat and mix in the salt and vanilla. 13. To a 9×13 baking dish, pour the sticky syrup on top to cover then bottom of the pan. Then sprinkle with the chopped pecans. Place the rolls in the pan and leave to rise.
14. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the tops are a light golden brown. 15. Allow the rolls to cool for 5 minutes, then invert the pan onto the serving platter and dig in!