Moist pumpkin cupcakes baked with warm spices and topped with silky cinnamon cream cheese frosting! Made extra special, these cupcakes are topped with edible mini pumpkins. THEY'RE SO STINKING CUTE!
WHAT YOU NEED all purpose flour baking powder baking soda ground cinnamon pumpkin pie spice kosher salt granulated sugar dark brown sugar vegetable oil pumpkin puree vanilla extract eggs unsalted butter cream cheese powdered sugar creamy peanut butter mini chocolate chips
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. 2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugars, oil, and pumpkin, followed by the vanilla and eggs. 3. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix to combine.
4. Divide the batter between the liners, filling each about 2/3 full (you may have a little bit of batter left over). I like using a large cookie scoop for this step as it makes the process quick and clean. 5. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean with a few moist crumbs.
6. While the cupcakes cool, make the frosting. 7. Using a hand or stand mixer with the whisk attachment, mix together the butter and cream cheese until smooth. 8 . Mix in 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time, followed by the cinnamon and vanilla. 9. Store the frosting in the refrigerator until you’re ready to frost. It will thicken as it chills.
10. Mix together the peanut butter and butter. Mix in the powdered sugar and pumpkin pie spice, followed by the vanilla. 11. In a side dish, mix together the cinnamon and sugar. 12. Scoop out 1/2 tbsp of dough and roll it into a ball. Use a toothpick to press ridges all around the ball, then roll in the cinnamon sugar. Press a mini chocolate chip on top to finish off the pumpkin.
13. When the cupcakes have completely cooled, fill a large piping bag with the frosting. It can be fitted with any shape tip you prefer. 14. Pipe the frosting onto each cupcake, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, and press a pumpkin on top. Keep the cupcakes in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve. Enjoy!