These sweet potato dinner rolls are soft and fluffy with warm spices and savory rosemary butter brushed on top.
Sweet Potato Dinner Rolls
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 packet Fleischmann’s® RapidRise® Instant Yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 cup (120ml) milk
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1 cup sweet potato puree*
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- Pinch of sea salt
- Cracked black pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together 1 cup flour, sugar, yeast, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.
- In a measuring glass, combine the milk and butter cut into two tablespoons. Heat in the microwave for 30-45 seconds until warm, but not hot. The butter may not melt all the way.
- Pour into the dry ingredients along with 1 egg and sweet potato puree. Stir to combine.
- Add in 2 cups of flour and mix until it forms a shaggy dough.
- If it’s still too sticky to handle with your hands, add in another 1/2 cup to 1 cup of flour.
- When it becomes too tough to handle with your mixing utensil, bring to knead the dough inside the bowl using your hands. The dough should be sticky, but not too thin.
- Continue to knead until you reach a smooth dough. Press a clean and dry finger into the surface. If it sticks, keep kneading and add 1/4 cup of flour at a time until your finger no longer sticks and the dough slowly springs back.
- Cover the bowl and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Lightly dust your surface with flour and place the dough in the center. Pan into a rough square and cut it into quarters. Then cut each quarter into quarters again, creating 16 pieces.
- Shape each piece by pulling the surface of the roll under itself, creating a smooth and taught surface with the rest of the dough pinched together underneath. If the dough is a bit too sticky, coat your fingers with flour as you work.
- Place the rolls in greased 9×13″ baking dish or 10-12″ round baking dish, evenly spaced apart. Cover the pan and let the rolls rest for 30 minutes.
- To bake, preheat the oven to 375F. Uncover the rolls and brush with an egg wash (1 egg beat with 2 tsp water). Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- While the rolls bake, make the rosemary butter by combining melted butter with chopped rosemary.
- When the rolls are warm from the oven, brush with the butter and top with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Serve while warm. Enjoy!
*SWEET POTATO PUREE – To make the puree, preheat the oven to 400F and prepare 2 medium sweet potatoes. Wash and dry the potatoes, then prick the surface with a fork. Place on a baking sheet lined with foil and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until fork tender. Allow the potatoes to cool, just enough to handle, then peel off the skins and blend the potatoes in a food processor until smooth.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
Keywords: sweet potato rolls, sweet potato dinner rolls, dinner rolls, dinner roll recipe, potato rolls