These chewy spice cookies are bursting with flavor, baked with warm spices and rich molasses.
- 2 2/3 cup (350g) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 3/4 cup (180g) dark brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup (80g) unsulphured molasses
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl using a hand or stand mixer with the paddle attachment, mix together the butter and sugars on medium-high speed for 2-3 minutes or until smooth, light and fluffy.
- Scrape down the bowl and add the egg, molasses, and vanilla and mix again on the same speed for another 2-3 minutes. The mixture should be silky, light and creamy.
- Pour in half of the dry ingredients and mix on medium-low speed until barely combined. Scrape down the bowl and then pour in the rest of the dry ingredients. Mix again on that same low speed until just combined.
- Use a rubber spatula to manually mix together the dough, working in any dry ingredients that may have settled to the bottom of the bowl.
- Off to the side, add the sugar and cinnamon to a bowl and mix to combine.
- Using a 2 oz ice cream scoop, or 1/4 measuring cup, scoop out the dough and toss in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Place about 5 cookies on the large baking sheet, evenly and well spaced apart. Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until the edges are a light golden brown and the center is pale and puffed. The cookies will darken, flatten, and settle as they cool.
- If the cookies spread a bit too much, use a fork to nudge in the sides right when you pull the cookies from the oven.
- Allow the cookies to rest on the baking sheet for about 3 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Continue to bake the rest of the cookies and then enjoy!
Keywords: spice cookies, chewy spice cookies, spice cookie recipe, chewy molasses cookies, cinnamon cookies