This small birthday cake is perfect for intimate celebrations! It serves two to four people, but has all the flavor and moist texture of a delicious birthday cake.
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp (86g) all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup (55g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/3 cup (85g) sour cream or 2% plain Greek yogurt
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 cup (120g) powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1–2 tbsp milk
- Rainbow sprinkles for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 350F and coat a 6 inch round cake pan with nonstick spray. Line the bottom of the pan with a round piece of parchment paper that’s cut to the same diameter as the pan. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a hand or stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Scrape down the bottom and sides of the bowl and mix in the vanilla and egg. Scrape down the bowl again and then mix in the sour cream.
- Pour in the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until combined. Remove the bowl from the mixer and use a rubber spatula to ensure all of the ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Scoop the batter into your prepared pan and spread it even. Bake for 28-30 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool inside the pan for 30 minutes, then run a knife around the edge and release the cake. Let it cool on a wire rack until it is no longer warm to the touch. To speed up this process, place the cake in the refrigerator. The cake must be completely cooled before frosting.
- In a bowl using a hand or stand mixer with the whisk attachment, mix together the butter and powdered sugar.
- Once smooth, mix in the cocoa powder. It should be pretty thick at this point, so mix in 1 or 2 tablespoons of milk to achieve a creamy consistency.
- Spread the frosting on your cooled cake and top with sprinkles. Enjoy!
Keywords: small birthday cake, birthday cake, birthday cake for two, 6 inch cake