This red velvet pound cake is a buttery and rich cake swirled with light chocolate red velvet swirls. It’s topped with chocolate ganache to bring in even more chocolate flavor!
Red Velvet Pound Cake
- 1 1/2 cups (195g) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (210g) Danish Creamery salted butter, room temp and sliced
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tbsp any mild oil (vegetable, canola, avocado)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tbsp liquid red food coloring
- 1 tbsp dutch process cocoa powder
- 4 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup (118ml) heavy cream
- Flaky sea salt for sprinkling
Red Velvet Pound Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease and line a 1 pound loaf pan with parchment paper. Allow the paper to hang over the sides for easy removal.
- In a large mixing bowl using a hand or stand mixer with the paddle attachment, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Add in the sliced butter and mix on medium-low speed until it forms a clumpy batter with the butter completely smoothed out.
- In a separate bowl, combine the vanilla, eggs, oil, and milk. Beat to combine.
- With the mixer on medium-low speed, slowly pour in the egg mixture. Keep mixing until the batter is smooth.
- Scoop out about 2/3 of the batter and place into a bowl off to the side.
- To the remaining 1/3 batter, add the food coloring and cocoa powder. Mix to combine.
- Now with the two batters, alternate adding spoonfuls of the white and red batter until the bottom of the loaf pan is covered.
- Gently swirl the two colors together using a butter knife, then repeat this process to create another layer of red and white spoonfuls. Swirl again, but be careful not to swirl TOO much, just enough to blend out the blocks of color.
- Tap the pan against the counter a few times to help smooth out the surface. Then bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean with a few moist crumbs.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for about 30 minutes, then remove and transfer to a cooling rack.
- While the cake is still a bit warm, make the ganache.
- Add the chopped chocolate to a bowl, and the heavy cream to a measuring glass.
- Microwave the cream for about 1 minute, or until bubbling and steaming.
- Pour the hot cream over the chopped chocolate and let it sit for about a minute. Then whisk to combine.
- Drizzle the ganache over the pound cake and top with a sprinkle of sea salt (optional). Enjoy!
SALT – If you need to use unsalted butter, use a total of 1/2 tsp of salt in the pound cake batter.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: pound cake, red velvet pound cake, red velvet swirled pound cake