Extra fudgy tahini brownies are baked with a layer of nutella right in the center, making for a perfectly balanced sweet and savory brownie.
- 1 1/2 cups (about 13 oz) Nutella (use vegan Nutella to make these dairy free)
- 2/3 cup (86g) all purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1/2 cup (50g) dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup (100g) light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp (125g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (120g) unsalted tahini
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 oz dark chocolate, chopped and divided
- 1/4 cup unsalted hazelnuts, roughly chopped (optional)
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Line a square 8×8 baking dish with wax paper.
- Measure out the Nutella in a heat proof bowl and microwave for 30 seconds.
- Pour the warm Nutella into the wax paper-lined dish and spread it in an even layer. Freeze for about 30 minutes or until firm.
- Once firm, lift out the Nutella (still on the wax paper) and transfer to a plate or tray and place it back in the freezer. This now frees up your baking pan to make the brownie batter.
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease and line your 8×8 square baking dish with parchment paper, allowing the paper to hang over the edges for easy removal.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. I recommend weighing the flour and cocoa powder (if you have a food scale) to ensure accuracy. Otherwise, spoon them into your measuring cup and level it off with a flat edge. Do not scoop directly into the flour/cocoa powder as this will pack it down into your cup and leave you with way too much.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until pale and creamy (about 2 minutes of vigorous whisking).
- Mix in the tahini and vanilla. Switch to a rubber spatula and stir in the dry ingredients, careful not to over mix. Then fold in half of the chopped dark chocolate.
- Scoop half of the batter into your prepared baking pan and spread it even. Remove the Nutella from the wax paper and place it on top. Then spread the remaining brownie batter on top of the Nutella.
- Sprinkle with the rest of the chocolate as well as hazelnuts and sesame seeds (optional).
- Bake for 28-32 minutes or until the top is crackly and glossy and the center does not wobble when the pan is jiggled. A toothpick test will not work here as the Nutella will just coat the toothpick.
- Allow the brownies to cool completely before slicing. Let them to cool at room temperature, placing the pan on a wire rack, for about 30 minutes. Then chill in the refrigerator for about 1 hour or until the bottom of the pan is no longer warm. Then lift the brownies out, slice, and enjoy!
Keywords: tahini brownies, nutella brownies, fudgy brownies, brownie recipe