These brownie bottom cookie dough bars are made with clean ingredients and are completely vegan and gluten free, but they’re so delicious that you would never know!
- 3/4 cup (160g) pitted Medjool dates (about 8 dates)
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup (50g) Bob’s Red Mill Super-Fine Almond Flour *SEE NOTES FOR NUT-FREE SUBS
- 1/3 cup (30g) dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained, rinsed and skinned
- 1/3 cup natural creamy cashew butter *SEE NOTES FOR NUT-FREE SUBS
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill Super-Fine Almond Flour *SEE NOTES FOR NUT-FEE SUBS
- 3 tbsp Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten Free Baking Flour, heat treated* (or more almond flour)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup vegan dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup vegan dark chocolate chips
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth. It should form into one large ball of tacky chocolate dough.
- Press into the bottom of a loaf pan that’s been lined with parchment paper. Set aside and clean out the food processor.
- First, drain, rinse and skin the chickpeas. It’s important to remove the skins otherwise the cookie dough will have a strong chickpea flavor and an odd gummy texture. To do so, place the drained and rinsed chickpeas on to a paper towel. Place another paper towel on top and gently roll around the chickpeas to loosen up the skins.
- Then remove all the translucent skins one by one. It’s a tedious step but it’s very worth it and should only take about 10 minutes.
- Once skinned, add all of the cookie dough ingredients to a food processor minus the chocolate chips.
- Blend until smooth and creamy, just like a cookie dough. Then fold in the chocolate chips by hand.
- Spread the cookie dough on top of the brownie base in an even layer.
- Add the chocolate and oil to a heat safe bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals, mixing between each time, until smooth (it should only take about 1 minute total).
- Pour over the cookie dough layer and spread it even.
- Chill the bars in the refrigerator for about 45 minutes to set.
- Once the chocolate on top is firm, lift the bars out of the loaf pan and slice. I recommend using a large sharp knife to do so. Run it under hot water and wipe it dry between each cut. Using a warm knife will make it easier to slice through the hard chocolate on top and prevent the cookie dough from squishing out with each cut.
- Store any extras in the refrigerator in an air tight container. They will keep for up to a week. Enjoy!
ALMOND FLOUR SUBS – For a nut-free recipe, swap the almond flour with oat flour. I recommend Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Oat Flour or you can make your own by blending Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Rolled Oats in a food processor until finely ground.
HEAT TREATED – Microwave the flour for 1 minute to 1 minute 30 seconds. This kills any potential bacteria to make it safe to eat raw.
CASHEW BUTTER SUBS – I highly recommend cashew butter is it provides the best cookie dough-like flavor. But you can’t find any or prefer a nut-free option, I recommend using natural sunflower seed butter (made with just sunflower seeds and no added oils or sugars). You can also use natural peanut butter but just know that the peanut butter flavor will come through in these bars.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Keywords: cookie dough, vegan cookie dough, cookie dough bars, edible cookie dough