This moist and fluffy lemon poppy seed is topped with a heavy pour of lemon icing. It’s also gluten and dairy free!
Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon zest (about 2 large lemons)
- 1/2 cup (110g) coconut oil, melted
- 3/4 cup (160ml) milk alternative (almond, oat, soy..etc.)
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups (265g) Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten Free Baking Flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 cup (120g) powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp milk alternative (almond, oat, soy…etc.)
- 1/4 tsp almond extract (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease and line a 9×5 (1lb) loaf pan with parchment paper. Allow the paper to hang over the sides for easy removal.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add the sugar and lemon zest. Use your fingers to rub the zest into the sugar in order to release more flavor.
- Whisk in the coconut oil, milk, lemon juice, eggs, and vanilla.
- Pour in the dry ingredients and whisk until it’s just barely combined. Then mix in the poppy seeds. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean with a few moist crumbs.
- Allow the loaf to cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then lift it out of the pan to cool completely at room temperature.
- Once cooled, make the icing by whisking together all of the ingredients. It should be the consistency of glue. If it’s too thin, add a couple tablespoons of powdered sugar. If it’s too thick, and 1-2 tsp of lemon juice or milk.
- Pour over the cooled loaf pan, then slice and enjoy!
Keywords: lemon poppy seed bread, gluten free lemon loaf, lemon poppy seed, gluten free