This flourless chocolate cake is baked with olive oil to create a rich and savory flavor. It’s also naturally gluten free and dairy free! Pair it with ice cream, powdered sugar, fresh berries, or anything sweet to balance out the deep chocolate flavor.
Flourless Chocolate Cake
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped*
- 1/2 cup (115g) extra virgin olive oil**
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar, divided
- 5 large eggs, separated and room temperature
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350F and coat a 9″ springform pan in nonstick spray. Place a sheet of parchment paper to cover the bottom plate and insert the ring to lock it in place.
- In a heat safe bowl, add the chopped chocolate and olive oil. Place over a pot of simmering water, ensuring the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Stir until melted, then remove from the pot. Alternatively, you can also microwave the chocolate and olive oil in a heat safe bowl in 30 second intervals (about 90 seconds total).
- Mix in the vanilla, then allow the chocolate to cool while you whip the egg whites.
- Separate the eggs and add the whites to a large bowl, either using a hand or stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Whip the egg whites on high speed for about 5 minutes. When they start to turn opaque, slowly pour in 1/2 cup of sugar with the mixer still running. Continue to whip until you reach stiff peaks (about 3 minutes).
- Now to the bowl of chocolate, mix in the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and then the egg yolks one at a time.
- Use a rubber spatula and add two scoops of the whipped egg whites to the chocolate. Mix until it’s fully combined. This helps thin out the batter to make it easier to fold in the rest of the egg whites.
- Dump in the rest of the egg whites and gently fold to combine. By the end you should be left with a light chocolate brown color with a light and creamy consistency.
- Pour the batter into the pan and spread it even. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until it’s evenly puffed up.
- Allow the cake to cool at room temperature for about 30 minutes. The cake will begin to deflate and crack as it cools to create a deliciously rich and fudgy texture with a crisp crust.
- Transfer the cake to the refrigerator and chill for about 2 hours, or until completely chilled. Release the cake from the pan and top with a dusting of cocoa powder or ice cream…or both! Enjoy!
- *Try using really good quality chocolate here since it’s the star of the show, and avoid using chocolate chips. The most accessible chocolate is Ghirardelli bittersweet baking squares found in the baking aisle.
- **Also use a good quality olive oil for the best result. The flavor is very subtle, but it pairs really well with the dark chocolate. If you don’t have olive oil, melted butter (or brown butter), melted coconut oil, or any other mild oil will work.
- ***This recipe can also be made in a 9″ cake pan. Grease the pan and line the bottom with a round of parchment paper. When it’s done, turn it out onto a cooling rack, then flip it right side up onto a serving dish.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: flourless chocolate cake, chocolate cake, flourless cake, flourless gluten free cake, olive oil cake