These pistachio cookies are baked with brown butter and melty puddles of dark chocolate chunks! They’re crispy on the outside, thin and chewy on the inside, and loaded with sweet and nutty pistachios.
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 2/3 cup (130g) light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp pistachio extract (optional)
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp (145g) all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 cup (3.5oz bar) 75%+ dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup (75g) roasted and salted pistachios, finely chopped (plus more for sprinkling on top)
- Flaky sea salt, for sprinkling on top
- Add 1/2 cup of the butter to a saucepan over medium heat. Melt and stir until it goes from loud and bubbly to quiet and frothy. Once it goes quiet, keep a close eye and remove the pan from the heat once the butter turns a rich amber color and gives off a nutty aroma.
- Pour the brown butter into a measuring glass (scraping in the bits at the bottom of the pan) and drop 1-2 tbsp of extra butter in to make it a level 1/2 cup. Place in the fridge to cool down for about 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cooled butter (it’s ok if it’s still slightly warm), brown sugar, and sugar.
- Add in the egg, vanilla and pistachio extract (if using) and whisk vigorously for about 2 minutes. The mixture should turn light in color and very smooth in consistency.
- Pour in the dry ingredients and switch to a rubber spatula. Gently stir and fold the dough together and right before it’s fully mixed, toss in the chopped dark chocolate and pistachios. Continue to fold until the dough is completely combined.
- Cover the bowl and chill the dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- When it’s close to the 30 minute mark, preheat the oven to 350F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a large 2oz cookie scoop (also equal to 1/4 cup) scoop 4-5 cookie dough balls onto the baking sheet, all well spaced apart.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown and the center looks pale, puffed, and slightly underdone.
- When they’re fresh from the oven, sprinkle each cookie with more chopped pistachios and a pinch of flaky sea salt.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and continue to bake the rest of the dough.
- Allow the cookies to cool for about 20 minutes, then enjoy!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Chill Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pistachio cookies, pistachio cookie recipe, chocolate chip pistachio cookies, pistachio chocolate chip cookies