These homemade cosmic brownies taste exactly like the original Little Debbie treat but with so much more flavor!
- 10 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup (150g) light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (95g) all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (20g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup (120g) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup (60ml) heavy whipping cream
- Rainbow coated chocolate sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease and line a square 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper. Let the paper hang over the edges for easy release.
- In a heat safe bowl, melt the butter and chocolate in the microwave in 30 second intervals. Mix between each interval until smooth. It shouldn’t take more than 90 seconds total.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, sugar, and eggs until pale and creamy. It should take about 1-2 minutes of vigorous whisking. Then mix in the vanilla.
- Slowly pour in the chocolate mixture as you continue to whisk. Continue whisking until the chocolate is fully combined.
- Switch to a rubber spatula and add in the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Fold to combine but don’t over mix.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan and spread it even. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Allow the brownies to cool in the pan for 30 minutes, then transfer to the refrigerator for 1-2 hours to chill completely.
- Once the brownies have chilled, make the ganache.
- Add the chocolate chips to a small mixing bowl and the heavy cream to a heat safe dish.
- Heat the cream in the microwave for about 1 minute or until bubbling.
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and give the bowl and little jiggle to ensure all of the chocolate is covered in the cream. Let it sit for about 30 seconds then whisk to combine.
- Pour the ganache over the cooled brownies and spread it even. Sprinkle the rainbow coated chocolate sprinkles on top.
- Let the brownies chill in the refrigerator again for about 30 minutes – 1 hour or until the ganache is completely set. Then lift out the brownies, slice, and enjoy!
Keywords: cosmic brownies, homemade cosmic brownies, copycat cosmic brownies