These moist pumpkin muffins are swirled with rich and creamy chocolate SunButter. They’re also so quick and easy to make and bake with the most perfect swirled and domed muffin tops!
Chocolate Swirled Pumpkin Muffins
- 2 cups (265g) all purpose flour* see notes for GF
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice**
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 15oz can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup (110g) vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (63g) sour cream
- 1/2 cup Chocolate SunButter
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a cupcake tin with 12 paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin and sugars followed by the oil, eggs, vanilla, and sour cream.
- Pour in the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
- Fill each liner half full with the muffin batter. Shake the pan to help level out the batter. Spoon a teaspoon of Chocolate SunButter in the center of each muffin.
- Fill the liners with the remaining muffin batter, filling each all the way to the top.
- Place a heaping teaspoon of Chocolate SunButter in the center of each muffin. Use a toothpick to swirl in the chocolate. Don’t be afraid to really dig in to the batter to get a swirl of both chocolate and batter.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean with a few moist crumbs.
- Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack and enjoy warm or at room temp.
- For serving, I like to split my muffin in half and spread some more Chocolate SunButter on the inside for an extra kick of chocolate. Enjoy!
GLUTEN FREE – For a gluten free version, use my recipe for gluten free pumpkin muffins. Skip the butter and cinnamon sugar coating but follow all the same steps here for incorporating the chocolate!
PUMPKIN PIE SPICE – If you don’t have this spice blend, you can instead substitute 1 teaspoon of cinnamon or 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon + 1 pinch of ground ginger + 1 pinch of nutmeg + 1 small pinch of allspice.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cooling Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate pumpkin muffins, pumpkin chocolate muffins, chocolate swirled pumpkin muffins, chocolate chip pumpkin muffins