Soft and chewy brownie cookies sandwiched with sweet pistachio ice cream and rolled in chopped salty pistachios
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter (can use vegan butter)
- 4 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 large eggs + 1 egg yolk, room temp
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (50g) light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup (85g) all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
Pistachio Ice Cream
- 2 pints pistachio ice cream*
- 1 1/2 cups salted and shelled pistachios, finely chopped
- Set the two pints of ice cream out at room temp to soften while you make the cookie dough.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- In a medium heat proof bowl, add the butter and chocolate. Melt in the microwave in 30 second intervals until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, vigorously whisk together the eggs and sugars until pale and smooth (about 2 minutes of whisking).
- Whisk in the vanilla, followed by the cooled butter and chocolate.
- Once combined, add the dry ingredients and fold to combine using a rubber spatula.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- While that chills, line a 8×8 square baking dish with plastic wrap, covering the bottom and all sides of the pan.
- Scoop the softened pistachio ice cream on top and spread it even. Place it into the freezer to chill firm.
- After the hour, preheat the oven to 350F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a 2 oz cookie scoop, or 1/4 measuring cup, scoop out the dough and roll into a ball. Place 6-5 cookies onto the baking sheet spaced well apart as they spread quite a bit. Return the remaining dough to the refrigerator.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are wrinkled and spread and the center is puffed up.
- Let the cookies rest on the baking sheet for about 3 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack and bake the rest of the cookies.
- As the last batch cools, remove the pistachio ice cream from the freezer. Lift the ice cream out by the plastic wrap and place on a cutting board. Using a 2.5-3 inch round biscuit cutter, cut out 4-5 rounds of ice cream. With the remaining scraps, push them together to stamp out 1-2 more rounds. Place the rounds onto a plate lined with wax paper and return to the freezer.
- After the cookies have COMPLETELY cooled, pair them up and place a round of pistachio ice cream between two cookies. Roll the sandwich cookies on a plate covered in an even layer of the chopped pistachios (optional).
- Return the sandwich cookies to the freezer to set and firm up for about 1 hour. Then enjoy!
ICE CREAM – Use any flavor ice cream you like! Just make sure to use ice cream and not gelato, as gelato is too soft to handle. And if you’re dairy free, dairy free ice cream can also be used.
STORAGE – These cookies will keep in the freezer for up to 2 months. Just make sure to wrap them individually in plastic wrap and place into a freezer storage bag.
Keywords: ice cream sandwiches, ice cream sandwich cookies, brownie cookies, pistachio ice cream