Soft and chewy brownie cookies sandwiched with sweet pistachio ice cream and rolled in chopped salty pistachios
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 large eggs + 1 egg yolk, room temp
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (50g) light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup (85g) all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
Pistachio Ice Cream
- 2 pints pistachio ice cream*
- 1 1/2 cups salted and shelled pistachios, finely chopped
- Set the two pints of ice cream out at room temp to soften while you make the cookie dough.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- In a medium heat proof bowl, add the butter and chocolate. Melt in the microwave in 30 second intervals until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, vigorously whisk together the eggs and sugars until pale and smooth (about 2 minutes of whisking).
- Whisk in the vanilla, followed by the cooled butter and chocolate.
- Once combined, add the dry ingredients and fold to combine using a rubber spatula.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- While that chills, line a 8×8 square baking dish with plastic wrap, covering the bottom and all sides of the pan.
- Scoop the softened pistachio ice cream on top and spread it even. Place it into the freezer to chill firm.
- After the hour, preheat the oven to 350F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a 2 oz cookie scoop, or 1/4 measuring cup, scoop out the dough and roll into a ball. Place 6-5 cookies onto the baking sheet spaced well apart as they spread quite a bit. Return the remaining dough to the refrigerator.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are wrinkled and spread and the center is puffed up.
- Let the cookies rest on the baking sheet for about 3 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack and bake the rest of the cookies.
- As the last batch cools, remove the pistachio ice cream from the freezer. Lift the ice cream out by the plastic wrap and place on a cutting board. Using a 2.5-3 inch round biscuit cutter, cut out 4-5 rounds of ice cream. With the remaining scraps, push them together to stamp out 1-2 more rounds. Place the rounds onto a plate lined with wax paper and return to the freezer.
- After the cookies have COMPLETELY cooled, pair them up and place a round of pistachio ice cream between two cookies. Roll the sandwich cookies on a plate covered in an even layer of the chopped pistachios (optional).
- Return the sandwich cookies to the freezer to set and firm up for about 1 hour. Then enjoy!
ICE CREAM – Use any flavor ice cream you like! Just make sure to use ice cream and not gelato, as gelato is too soft to handle.
STORAGE – These cookies will keep in the freezer for up to 2 months. Just make sure to wrap them individually in plastic wrap and place into a freezer storage bag.
Keywords: ice cream sandwiches, ice cream sandwich cookies, brownie cookies, pistachio ice cream