This banana coffee cake is like a cross between banana bread and cinnamon coffee cake. It’s super moist like banana bread but with a cinnamon sugar swirl and sweet crumble topping!
- 1 1/2 cups (195g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) light brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup (80g) sour cream, room temp
- 1 large egg, room temp
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (190g) mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium bananas)
- 3 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp (150g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup (65g) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (65g) light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup (110g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- OR top with homemade salted caramel
- Preheat your oven the 325F and grease and line an 8×8 baking pan, allowing the paper to hang over the sides for easy removal.
- Start by making the crumble – Combine the flour, cinnamon, and sugars in a bowl. Then mix in the melted butter. The mixture should resemble wet sand. Place the bowl in the refrigerator to chill while the rest of the cake is made.
- For the banana cake, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugars and butter.
- Once fully combined, whisk in the sour cream, egg, vanilla, and mashed banana.
- Gently mix in the dry ingredients using a rubber spatula.
- Spread half of the batter into the pan. Combine the cinnamon sugar mixture and sprinkle an even layer on top.
- Cover with the remaining batter and gently spread it even.
- Remove the crumble from the refrigerator. It should now be cold and firm. Crumble it on top in an even layer.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean with a few moist crumbs.
- Allow the cake to cool for about 30-40 minutes.
- While it cools, whisk together the powdered sugar and milk to make the icing. It should make a glue-like consistency. If it’s too thick, add 1/2 tbsp of milk at a time until it turns smooth.
- Drizzle the icing on top of the slightly warm cake and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: banana coffee cake, banana crumb cake, banana cake, banana coffee cake recipe