These Peppermint Bark Cookies have all the delicious flavors of peppermint bark with a soft peppermint brownie cookie baked with a pool of white chocolate on top. Sprinkle with crushed candy canes to make these cookies extra festive!
WHAT YOU NEED unsalted butter vegetable or canola oil dark chocolate granulated sugar eggs vanilla extract peppermint extract dutch process cocoa powder baking powder kosher salt all-purpose flour dark chocolate chips white chocolate bar candy canes
1. Add the butter to a small saucepan over medium heat. 2. Once melted, remove from heat and mix in the oil and 70% dark chocolate to melt. Set this aside to cool. 3. In the meantime, add the eggs and sugar to a large mixing bowl and vigorously whisk until the mixture turns a pale pastel yellow. This can be done by hand or with an electric mixer.
4. Now pour in the melted chocolate mixture and whisk with the vanilla and peppermint extract. Once smooth, whisk in the cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Then whisk in the flour. 5. Cover the bowl and let it sit at room temperature for 15 minutes, then transfer to the refrigerator to chill for another 15 minutes.
6. While that sits, chop up the white chocolate and melt in the microwave in 20 second intervals. 7. The melted white chocolate should look fairly thin, so chill it alongside the dough to help it reach a thick icing consistency. 8. To bake, preheat the oven to 350F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. 9. Using a large cookie scoop (3 tablespoons worth), scoop out the brownie dough (it should be very thick now) and place 4-5 cookies on the baking pan.
10. Using your thumb or the back of a rounded teaspoon, press a shallow indent into the center of each cookie. 11. Place 3-4 chocolate chips around the edge of the indent and scoop a heaping teaspoon of white chocolate into the center, allowing it to ooze over the sides. 12. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, then allow them to cool on the pan for about 3 minutes.
13. Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack and sprinkle with the crushed candy canes. Proceed to bake the rest of the batch. 14. Allow the cookies to cool to room temp, and then dig in!