This is the BEST strawberry rhubarb crisp! The filling is thick, sweet, and tart and topped with a hefty layer of buttery and crumbly oat crisp.
Strawberry Rhubarb Filling
- 4 cups (570g) fresh strawberries, washed and quartered
- 2 1/2 cups (280g) fresh rhubarb, sliced into 1/2 inch chunks *see notes for alternatives
- 1/2 cup (110g) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh orange zest
- 1 cup (140g) all purpose flour *see notes for GF option
- 1 cup (100g) quick oats
- 2/3 cup (145g) light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter (or vegan butter), cold and cubed
- Preheat the oven to 350F and choose a baking dish. A 10″ cast iron skillet is preferred, but you could also use a 9″ or 8″ baking dish. Keep in mind it will need to bake for a few extra minutes if not using a cast iron skillet.
- Note – make sure your butter is in the fridge at this point. Take it out and chop it right before adding to the crumble.
- Combine all of the strawberry rhubarb filling ingredients in a large bowl and toss to coat. Add to your baking dish and spread it even. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add in the very cold butter, cut into small cubes, and toss to coat. Then, use your fingers to squish and smoosh the butter into the dry ingredients. Work at it for a few minutes until you’re left with pea sized lumps of butter and the mixture holds together when you squeeze it in a fist.
- Crumble on top of the fruit in an even layer and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the edges are bubbling.
- Let the crisp cool for at least 30 minutes to allow the filling to thicken. Now dig in!
RHUBARB – If you can’t get your hands on fresh rhubarb (I found mine at my local supermarket next to the berries, but you can also try farmers markets), you could also use frozen rhubarb that’s been thawed and drained of excess water. If you can’t find either, use any tart fruit like firm cherries, blackberries, or granny smith apples.
Keywords: strawberry rhubarb crisp, strawberry rhubarb crumble, rhubarb recipes, strawberry rhubarb