Soft and tender snickerdoodle cookies are baked with chocolate and marshmallows.
Snickerdoodle S’mores Cookies
- 1 cup (220g) unsalted butter, half browned
- 1 cup (210g) dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 large eggs, room temp
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups (380g) all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 1/4 cup (200g) dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Slice 1/2 cup of butter and place it into your mixing bowl (either using a regular bowl or stand mixer). Add the other 1/2 cup of butter to a saucepan over medium heat. Allow it to melt down and bubble. After a few minutes, the noisy bubbling will turn to a quiet foam. Once this happens, continue stirring until the butter turns a rich amber color and gives off a nutty aroma.
- Pour the hot browned butter over the regular butter in the mixing bowl. Make sure to scrape in the brown bits at the bottom of the pot. Stir to help coat the regular butter in the brown butter.
- As that’s melting, combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
- Once the butter has cooled and completely melted, add the dark brown sugar and granulated sugar. Whisk either by hand, or use the paddle attachment of a stand mixer. Mix for 2-3 minutes.
- Once combined, mix in the maple syrup, eggs, and vanilla. Mix on medium-high speed for 2-3 minutes, or until the mixture turns pale.
- Scrape down the bowl and mix again.
- Now pour in the dry ingredients and mix to combine. If mixing by hand, fold in the dry ingredients using a rubber spatula.
- Add the marshmallows and chocolate and fold to distribute. If you’re using a stand mixer, remove the bowl from the mixer and fold in by hand using a rubber spatula.
- Place the bowl in the refrigerator uncovered and allow it to chill for 1 hour.
- After the hour, scoop out the cookie dough using a 1/2 measuring cup (making large cookies). Roll each cookie in the cinnamon sugar coating and form into a tall cookie dough ball (see pictures in post for reference). Place the cookie dough balls on a tray lined with wax or parchment paper.
- Place the cookies into the refrigerator while you preheat the oven to 350F.
- Once preheated, place 5 cookies on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 14-16 minutes or until the edges are golden and the center is pale and puffed.
- Some of the cookies may lose their shape due to the marshmallows melting. If this happens, nudge the sides back into place using a fork. Do so right when you pull the cookies from the oven.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then carefully transfer them to a cooling rack. The marshmallows may make a couple of the cookies stick to the paper. If that’s the case, just slowly and carefully run your spatula all around and underneath the cookie until it pops loose.
- If you like a really gooey and melty center, eat when warm. If you like a more firm and doughy center, eat at room temperature. Enjoy!
Keywords: smores, smores cookies, cookie recipe, snickerdoodles, snickerdoodle cookies