These salted caramel chocolate chip cookies are crisp and chewy on the outside and gooey on the inside. With pieces of caramel baked in the center, there’s a bit of chocolate and caramel in every bite. A pinch of flaky sea salt on top of each cookie helps bring out the caramel flavor even more!
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp (40g) old fashioned oats
- 1 cup (132g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (110g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup (100g) light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup (180g) dark chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup Werther’s soft caramels, chilled
- Flakey sea salt for sprinkling
- First cut the caramels. Make sure they’re chilled for easy chopping. Unwrap and chop each caramel in half, filling 1/2 cup. Return the cut caramels to the refrigerator and keep 1/4 cup worth whole and at room temp to soften.
- Add the oats to a food processor and pulse 5-6 times. You should be left with some finely ground bits with some larger chunks. See photo in post for reference.
- Whisk together the oats, flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugars and melted butter.
- Whisk in the vanilla and eggs.
- Fold in the dry ingredients until combined. Then, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Cover and chill the dough for 30 minutes.
- When ready, preheat the oven to 350F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a large cookie scoop (3 tbsp worth), scoop 4 cookies onto the large baking sheet. Then press two half pieces of the chilled caramel into the center of each cookie. Mold each cookie dough ball in your hands to help contain the caramels. Top with a sprinkle of extra chocolate chips if desired (see picture in post for reference). Return the remaining dough to the refrigerator.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes. The edges should be a nice golden brown and the center still slightly underdone.
- Using the remaining room temperature caramels, tear in half and flatten out each half into a thin disk. Place the caramel disk into the center of an existing caramel puddle on the freshly baked cookies. Each cookie gets one half of a room temperature caramel.
- The caramel will slowly melt into the cookie to create DOUBLE the caramel goodness. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt then transfer to a cooling rack. Continue to bake the rest of the dough.
- Allow the cookies to cool for about 20 minutes, then enjoy!
- Prep Time: 18 minutes
- Chill Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: salted caramel chocolate chip cookies, chocolate chip cookies, caramel cookies