A delicious combination of sweet and crunchy puppy chow with ooey gooey marshmallow. The ultimate no bake treat!
- 9 cups Rice Chex
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 8 cups mini marshmallows
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar (+ more for dusting)
- Grease and line either an 8×8 or 9×13 pan with parchment paper, depending on how thick or thin you want your marshmallow treats. Set aside.
- Start by making the puppy chow. Measure out the Rice Chex in a large bowl fitted with a lid.
- In a microwave safe bowl, microwave 1 cup of chocolate chips, 1/2 cup of peanut butter, and 1/4 cup of butter. Microwave in 30 second increments, mixing between each time. It should take about a minute total.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Pour the mixture of the Rice Chex and mix. Once fully coated, add the 1 cup of powdered sugar and with the lid on, shake it! (You can also use a spatula and gently stir to coat OR shake to coat in a large ziplock bag)
- Reserve about 1 cup of puppy chow to sprinkle on top of the bars later.
- To make the marshmallow treat gooey-ness, add 1/4 cup of butter to a large saucepan and melt over low heat. Once melted, add in the marshmallows and stir. Once those are just about melted, add in 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 1 tablespoon of milk. Continue to stir the marshmallow mixture until it’s completely smooth.
- Add the marshmallow into the bowl of puppy chow and stir until the puppy chow is coated. Careful not to over-mix so that the puppy chow doesn’t lose too much of its coating or shape. Pour the puppy chow mixture into your prepared pan and spread evenly. It helps if you lightly spray your hands with nonstick spray and press the marshmallow treats into the pan.
- Gently press the remaining 1 cup of puppy chow on top.
- Allow to fully cool at room temperature before cutting (about 1 hour). You can either dust the top or coat the pieces entirely in powdered sugar. Either way, I recommend dunking the bottoms in powdered sugar since the base is pretty sticky. Enjoy!
Keywords: puppy chow, muddy buddies, marshmallow treats