These creamy mashed potatoes are made with a flavorful pimento butter consisting of roasted red peppers, smoked paprika, and hot sauce. It adds a unique flavor and kick to this recipe which pairs so well with the cream cheese used to make these mashed potatoes EXTRA delicious! This recipe is also easy to make standard or vegan with just a few simple swaps.
- 3/4 cup (165g) unsalted butter (regular or plant-based), chilled and sliced into tablespoons
- 1/2 cup (75g) roasted red peppers, patted dry and roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 3 lb yukon gold potatoes, washed, pealed, and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 4 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 cup (120ml) milk (regular or plant-based)
- 1/2 cup (90g) cream cheese (regular or plant-based)
- 6 tbsp pimento butter
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- Pepper flakes for topping (optional)
- Place the chopped potatoes in a pot of cold water, ensuring the water goes an inch above the potatoes.
- Cover the pot and place over high heat to bring to a boil. Once boiling, uncover the pot and add 3 tsp of salt. Reduce to a simmer and let it bubble for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- While the potatoes boil, make the pimento butter. Add all of the ingredients to a food processor and pulse until the peppers are well distributed and the butter has a light orange color.
- When the potatoes are ready, turn off the heat and drain in a colander. Let the potatoes rest there for 5 minutes, then transfer back to the pot and give them a rough mash.
- Add the milk, cream cheese, and pimento butter and mash until smooth. Then mash in the garlic powder, remaining 1 tsp of salt, and black pepper. Taste and add more salt or pepper if desired.
- To serve, sprinkle the top of the potatoes with a small pinch of pepper flakes (if desired). Then, melt the remaining pimento butter and either drizzle it on top or leave it off to the side for everyone to add their desired amount. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
Keywords: mashed potatoes, mashed potato recipe, pimento potatoes, pimento butter, pimento cheese