Many peanut butter cookies can be dry and chalky, but these peanut butter chocolate chip cookies are anything but! They’re super soft and tender on the inside with a lightly crisp and chewy outside. Studded with mini chocolate chips, there’s the perfect amount of chocolate to peanut butter cookie in every bite.
- 1 cup (132g) all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (128g) creamy peanut butter, like Jif or Skippy
- 1/2 cup (110g) unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup (150g) light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (170g) mini semisweet chocolate chips + more for topping
- Flaky sea salt, for sprinkling on top
- NOTE: This dough must chill for at least 4 hours or overnight. I recommend making the dough a day ahead. It’s the secret to a super tender and soft texture, so it’s well worth the wait!
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the peanut butter, butter, and sugars until smooth.
- Mix in the egg and vanilla until combined.
- Use a rubber spatula to mix in the dry ingredients just until the dough comes together – careful not to over mix.
- Fold in the chocolate chips. The dough should appear wet but it should still hold its shape when scooped. If for some reason it’s too thin to scoop, pop the bowl in the fridge for 20 minutes and then continue on to the next step.
- Line a small cookie sheet with wax or parchment paper. This is what you will use to chill the dough.
- Using a large 2 oz cookie scoop (or 1/4 measuring cup) scoop out the dough and set them side by side on the cookie sheet. Don’t worry about rolling them in to perfect balls. Just plop them down and move on to the next one. *You can also make regular sized cookies but make sure to reduce your baking time by 3-4 minutes.
- If you like, dot the tops with a few more mini chocolate chips.
- Place the dough in the refrigerator uncovered and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- When ready, preheat the oven to 350F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Space the cookies about 3 inches apart (about 4-5 cookies at a time) and bake for 14-16 minutes or until the edges are a light golden color and the center looks barely underdone. Only bake one batch at a time, keeping the rest of the dough in the fridge until you’re ready for the next.
- When fresh from the oven, sprinkle with sea salt then transfer to a cooling rack and let the cookies cool to room temperature before eating. They’ll seem pretty doughy in the middle but they’ll firm up as they cool. Store in an air tight container at room temperature. Enjoy!
CHOCOLATE CHIPS – Regular-sized chocolate chips can be used as well, I just prefer the even scatter of mini chocolate chips. Dark or semisweet is best as milk chocolate may be too sweet for these cookies.
- Prep Time: 4 hours
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: peanut butter cookies, peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, chocolate chip peanut butter cookies, peanut butter cookies with chocolate chips