These are the most delicious oatmeal chocolate chip cookies! They’re packed with flavor, using brown butter, toasted walnuts, and a hint of cinnamon and molasses. They bake with caramelized edges and a soft center filled with melty chocolate chips.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup (220g) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup (150g) dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) all purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups (175g) old fashioned rolled oats (not quick oats)
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips, plus more for topping
- 1/2 cup walnut halves, toasted and chopped
- Flaky sea salt, for sprinkling
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a small baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scatter the walnut halves in an even layer and bake for 8-10 to toast.
- Chop into fine bite-sized bits and set aside.
- In a saucepan, add the butter and place over medium heat.
- Melt down and stir, continuing to heat the butter until it goes from loud and bubbly to quiet and frothy. Keep stirring until the butter starts to turn a rich amber color and gives off a nutty/toffy aroma.
- Remove from heat and pour into a measuring glass (make sure to scrape in the brown bits at the bottom of the pot). It should reach just a smidge past 3/4 cup.
- While the butter cools, whisk together the flour, oats, cornstarch, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the dark brown sugar, sugar, and molasses.
- When the butter is no longer piping hot, pour into the bowl of sugar and whisk to combine.
- Then crack in the eggs and vanilla and whisk vigorously until it turns into a pale and smooth consistency.
- Dump in the dry ingredients and use a rubber spatula to fold the dough together. About halfway through mixing, chuck in the chocolate chips and chopped walnuts and continue to fold.
- The dough should be pretty thick, so make sure to mix in all the dry bits at the bottom of the bowl.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a large 2oz scoop (or 1/4 cup) scoop 4 cookies out onto the baking sheet.
- Use the palm of your hand to press each cookie flat so they’re about 1 inch thick. Sprinkle the tops with extra chocolate chips, if desired, and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Pull the cookies when the edges are golden the center looks slightly underdone.
- Sprinkle the tops with a bit of flaky sea salt and transfer to a cooling rack. Continue to bake the rest of the cookie dough.
- Allow the cookies to cool and then dig in!
FREEZER INSTRUCTIONS – To freeze the cookie dough, scoop out the dough and press flat. Then toss the dough into a freezer safe container or ziplock bag. To bake, allow the dough to thaw before being as originally instructed.
GLUTEN FREE – Although I haven’t tried baking this exact recipe gluten free, I have a separate gluten free oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe.
SMALLER COOKIES – If you prefer to bake regular-sized cookies, bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, chocolate chip oatmeal cookies, oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe