Soft and tender sugar cookies topped with smooth vanilla buttercream and a pile of Lucky Charms cereal
- 2 1/2 cups (320g) all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 tbsp unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (50ml) vegetable or canola oil
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (165g) unsalted butter, room temp
- 2–3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1–2 tbsp milk
- Lucky Charms cereal
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl using a hand or stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (medium high speed for 2-3 minutes).
- With the mixing running on medium-low speed, pour in the oil in a slow and steady stream.
- Once combined, scrape down the bowl and mix in the eggs one at a time.
- Mix in the vanilla and scrape down the bowl again.
- Dump in half of the dry ingredients and give it a light mix, then add in the rest and mix until just combined. Don’t over mix.
- Just a rubber spatula to scrape down the bowl and ensure everything is evenly incorporated. The dough should be thick but tacky. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- After 20-25 minutes, preheat the oven to 350F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator after the 30 minutes is up. If you have a food scale, weigh out each cookie to be 4oz (or 1/2 cup). Shape into a ball and place on the baking sheet, only baking 3-4 cookies at a time. The ball should be somewhat flat on the top (see picture in post for reference).
- Bake for 13-16 minutes or until the edges are a very pale golden color.
- Let the cookies rest on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack and continue to bake the rest of the dough.
- When the cookies have completely cooled and are no longer warm to the touch, make the frosting.
- In a large bowl using a hand or stand mixer with the whisk attachment, mix the butter until smooth.
- Mix in 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time, followed by the vanilla and just enough milk to smooth out the buttercream.
- Spread the buttercream on to each cookie and top with a hefty amount of Lucky Charms cereal. Enjoy!
Keywords: sugar cookies, frosted sugar cookies, sugar cookie recipe, lucky charms cookies