These healthier scotcheroos are refined sugar free, gluten free, and made without corn syrup. Using organic honey, coconut sugar, and brown rice cereal, this scotcheroo recipe is a modern twist on a classic dessert.
- 1/2 cup Wholesome Organic Coconut Palm Sugar
- 1/2 cup Wholesome Organic Raw Unfiltered Honey
- 1/2 cup natural creamy peanut butter (preferably made with just peanuts and salt)*
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups crispy brown rice cereal (certified gluten free)**
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips (or more chocolate chips for a dairy free option)
- Flaky sea salt (optional but highly recommended)
- In a large pot over medium low heat, melt down the coconut sugar, honey, peanut butter, and vanilla until combined and smooth.
- Dump in the brown rice cereal and stir to coat.
- Press it into an 8×8 square baking pan that has been sprayed and lined with parchment paper. For easy removal, let the parchment paper hang over the sides to lift out the scotcheroos later.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt together the chocolate and butterscotch chips in 30 second intervals until completely smooth.
- Pour over the peanut butter base and spread it even. For a completely smooth surface, tap the pan against the counter a couple times to even everything out.
- Place the pan in the fridge for about 30-60 minutes to set. Sprinkle with sea salt before serving. Enjoy!
- Let me know how they turned out in the comments down below!
- *Regular peanut butter will also work for this recipe
- **If you can’t find gluten free rice cereal, Rice Chex will also work
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
Keywords: scotcheroos, gluten free scotcheroos, healthier scotcheroos, no corn syrup scotcheroos, chocolate scotcheroos