You would never guess that these chocolate chip cookies are gluten free. They’re soft and chewy on the inside, crispy on the outside, and loaded with chocolate chips!
- 1/2 cup (110g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup (110g) dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or 2 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp (150g) gluten free all-purpose flour with xathan gum (I recommend this one)
- 1/2 cup (60g) oat flour *SEE NOTES
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (80g) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup (160g) semisweet chocolate chips + a handful more for sprinkling
- Flaky sea salt for sprinkling
- Whisk together the flour, oat flour, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- Cream together the melted butter and sugars until it turns into a paste-like consistency (mix on medium-high speed with the paddle attachment for 3-5 minutes).
- Mix in the vanilla and eggs until smooth. Scrape down the bowl and mix again.
- Mix in the dry ingredients. Once combined, fold in the chocolate.
- Use a large cookie scoop and scoop the cookie dough side-by-side on a small tray lined with wax paper. You should have 15-16 cookies. Dot the tops with a few more chocolate chips and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Once chilled, bake at 375F on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper (do not use a silpat). Bake 5-6 cookies at a time for 10-12 minutes. They should be lightly golden around the edges and puffed/doughy in the center.
- Right when you take them out of the oven, quickly push in the sides of the cookies using the inside curve of a fork (see picture in post). They’ll spread quite a bit, so pushing in the sides to form perfectly round cookies gives you wrinkly and crispy edges.
- Sprinkle the tops with a little flaky sea salt and transfer to a cooling rack.
- Allow them to cool for about 15 minutes then dig in!
- *Oat flour is preferred, but almond flour can also be used. Add an additional tablespoon of the all purpose gluten free flour when using almond flour.
Keywords: gluten free chocolate chip cookies, gluten free cookies, gluten free