This delicious gluten free apple crisp is also completely vegan! It’s quick and easy to make and has the perfect consistency…not too thick and not too runny. I’m very picky about my apple crisps but this is the best I’ve ever had.
- 5 Granny Smith apples, peeled cored and sliced
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp Watkins Organic Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Watkins Organic Ground Nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats (certified gluten free)
- 1/2 cup quick oats (certified gluten free)
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 1/3 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Watkins Organic Ground Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Watkins Organic Ground Nutmeg
- 3/4 cup vegan butter, cold and cubed
Quick Vegan Caramel Sauce (a Pinch of Yum recipe)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F. I used an 8″ cast iron skillet for this recipe but if you don’t have one available, an 8×8 baking pan will also work. Just make sure to spray your pan or skillet of choice with some nonstick cooking spray.
- Start by prepping the apples. You want to make 1/8 inch slices then toss them into a large bowl.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and use your hands to evenly coat the apples. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, combine all of the crisp ingredients minus the butter.
- Once mixed, add in the COLD and cubed butter. Use your fingers to work it into the dry ingredients until it is evenly hydrated and a few butter clumps remain.
- Press half of the crisp mixture into the bottom of your baking dish. Add your apples on top. You might have to adjust some of the apples or press down to make room for the rest of the crisp.
- Crumble the rest of the crisp mixture on top and bake for 35-40 minutes. It’s ready when the juices have reached the edges and have started the bubble. The top should be an even golden brown. If you find your crisp is darkening too quickly, cover in aluminum foil and continue to bake.
- While the crisp cools, make the vegan caramel sauce. It’s completely optional but it’s also SO quick to make so…why not?
- Mix together the coconut oil and maple syrup in a heat safe container. Pop it in the microwave for about 1 minute then whisk in the almond butter.
- Keep whisking until it thickens. If it still looks too thin, place it in the fridge for about 10 minutes then try to whisk again. The more you whisk, the thicker it gets. Mix in the salt.
- After about 20-30 minutes, your apple crisp is ready to serve! Top with your favorite dairy free vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of the vegan caramel. Enjoy!
Keywords: apple crisp, gluten free apple crisp, vegan apple crisp