These ooey gooey chocolate chip cookies are baked with savory pecans, rich dark chocolate, and nutty brown butter. The outside is golden and crispy and the inside remains soft and melty.
- 1 cup (220g) unsalted butter
- 2 cups (250g) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup (200g) dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate (chips or chopped) + more for topping
- 1 cup pecan halves, roughly chopped + more for topping
- Flaky sea salt
- First, brown the butter. Add the 1 cup of butter to a saucepan over medium heat. Melt and continue to stir until it turns a rich amber color and gives off a nutty scent. Click here for more details on how to brown butter.
- Pour into a large mixing bowl (making sure to scrape in the browned bits at the bottom of the pot) and set aside to cool.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Once the brown butter is no longer hot, add the brown sugar, sugar, and molasses to the bowl. Whisk to combine. You can either do so by hand or with an electric mixer. It should resemble the texture of a slushie.
- Whisk in the eggs and vanilla until fully combined.
- Pour in all of the dry ingredients and mix to incorporate. Switch to a rubber spatula to fold in the ingredients once the dough starts to thicken.
- Fold in the dark chocolate and pecans. At this point, the dough should be sticky and able to hold its shape when scooped. If it’s too thin, place it in the refrigerator uncovered for about 30 minutes to cool.
- But if it’s already at the right consistency, scoop out the cookie dough using a large 2oz scoop or 1/4 measuring cup. Place the scoops side by side on a plate or small baking sheet lined with wax or parchment paper.
- Place extra chocolate chips and pecans on top of each cookie and chill for at least 30 minutes, but they can also be left overnight.
- When ready, place 5-6 large cookies on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 350F for 13-15 minutes. If your cookies are smaller than 2oz, bake for 10-12 minutes. The cookies are ready when the edges are golden and the middle looks puffed, pale, and a bit underdone.
- When they’re hot from the oven, sprinkle the tops with a bit of sea salt and transfer to a cooling rack. If the cookies are too soft to move, let them sit on the cookie sheet for about 5 minutes and then try again.
- Bake the remaining cookie dough and dig in!
Keywords: butter pecan, butter pecan cookies, brown butter cookies, chocolate chip cookies, pecan chocolate chip cookies