These homemade fudge brownies are like the gourmet version of box mix brownies, but with a richer texture and deeper chocolate flavor.
- 1/2 cup (70g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup (20g) dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 10 tbsp (140g) unsalted butter
- 3 oz bittersweet chocolate (chips or chopped)*
- 2 oz milk chocolate (chips or chopped)*
- 3 tsp any mild oil (vegetable, canola, melted coconut)
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (50g) dark brown sugar, packed
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease and line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper. Cut two strips the same width as the pan so that all sides of the pan are covered in parchment paper and it hangs over the edges for easy removal.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, cocoa powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Place the butter, chocolate, and oil in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in 30 second intervals, mixing between each time, until melted. It shouldn’t take more than 60-90 seconds. If you don’t have a microwave, you can also melt the mixture in a bowl over a pot of simmering water, ensuring the bowl doesn’t touch the water.
- Using a hand or stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk together the eggs and sugars on high until light and frothy. This will only take a couple minutes. *see picture in post for reference
- Making sure the chocolate isn’t too hot, turn the mixer down to low and pour in the chocolate in a slow and steady stream. Mix in the vanilla.
- Take the bowl off the mixer and fold in the dry ingredients using a rubber spatula – careful not to over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes. Then, take it out of the oven, close the door, and drop it against the counter a couple times (lift it just a couple inches off the counter and drop it back down 5-7 times). Place it back in the oven to bake for another 18-20 minutes.
- Let the brownies cool completely in the pan before removing and cutting. Top with a dusting of powdered sugar. Enjoy!
*This is the best chocolate combination to get that not too sweet not too bitter flavor. I highly recommend using these two, but you can also use what you have on hand as it won’t make or break the recipe. As long as you use 5oz total.
Keywords: chocolate fudge brownies, homemade brownies, fudge brownies, chocolate brownies