This is your new go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe! It’s no chill, mixed by hand, and they’re ready in 30 minutes. They turn out soft and gooey on the inside and crisp and chewy on the outside.
- 1 1/4 cups (165g) all purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (110g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup (100g) light brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup (75g) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups (240g) good quality semisweet chocolate chips (I use Ghirardelli) + more for topping
- Flaky sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour (see notes on how to properly measure), baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the melted and cooled butter, brown sugar, and sugar. It’s important that the butter is not hot, but it can be slightly warm. Whisk vigorously for 1-2 minutes until it turns into a paste-like consistency (see picture in post for reference).
- Whisk in the egg and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour in the dry ingredients and use a rubber spatula to fold to combine. Leave a few streaks of flour and pour in the chocolate chips. Continue to fold the dough until the chocolate chips are dispersed and the flour is completely blended in. Do not over mix.
- A large 2oz cookie scoop (or 1/4 measuring cup) is preferred for this recipe. Scoop 5 cookies onto the baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes (12 for a more gooey cookie, 15 more a more well done cookie). If you do not have a large scoop or prefer regular-sized cookies, scoop 6 cookies onto the baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- The cookies are ready when they have a golden ring around the edge but are pale and puffed in the center (see the photo above of the cookies inside the oven for reference). The cookies will continue to bake outside oven and will slowly flatten and settle as they cool.
- When they’re fresh from the oven, top with a few extra chocolate chips and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and continue to bake the rest of the dough.
- Let the cookies cool for about 20 minutes before eating. They’re best when they’re slightly warm and the chocolate chips are still melty. Enjoy!
FLOUR – If you have a food scale, weigh out your flour to ensure accuracy. Otherwise, spoon the flour into your measuring cup and level it off. Don’t shake it down, pack it in, or scoop directly into the flour bag or container. This compacts the flour which will lead to too much flour in the dough. If there’s too much flour, the cookies will not spread properly.
Keywords: chocolate chip cookies, chocolate chip cookie recipe, chewy chocolate chip cookies, best chocolate chip cookies