Brown butter chocolate chip cookies are an elevated version of a classic recipe. They’re rich, chewy, gooey, and loaded with chocolate chunks.
- 1 1/4 cups (145g) cake flour
- 2/3 cup (100g) bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp unsalted butter, browned to make 1 cup
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 5 oz dark chocolate, chopped
- Maldon sea salt for sprinkling
- Start by browning the butter. I walk through the entire browning process here.
- When it’s done, pour it into a glass measuring cup. Scrape down the bottom of the pan because you don’t want to miss those brown bits at the bottom. Make sure it measures 1 cup. If it’s a little over, take some out. If it’s a little under, add some water.
- Place it in the fridge to cool down. Don’t leave it in for more than 30 minutes. It should be a liiiiittle warm to the touch but not hot.
- While the butter chills, chop the chocolate.
- Then, combine the flours, salt, and baking soda in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sugars, espresso powder, and cooled brown butter. It will not be smooth, but do your best to combine the ingredients.
- Mix in the vanilla, lemon juice, and eggs. Finally, slowly incorporate the dry ingredients until the dough comes together – careful not to over mix. Fold in the chocolate.
- Using a large 2 oz cookie scoop, scoop out the cookie dough onto a cookie sheet lined with wax paper to prep for the fridge. Recipe makes 12-13 large cookies. Refrigerate uncovered for at least 4 hours but preferably overnight.
- Once chilled, preheat the oven to 350F and bake the cookies for 12-14 minutes. Space the cookies about 2 inches apart. You’re looking for golden brown edges and a pale doughy center.
- Sprinkle with some sea salt when they’re fresh from the oven then transfer to a cooling rack. Careful when transferring as the cookies will still be soft.
- Cool completely before eating. Enjoy!
Keywords: chocolate chip cookies, the best chocolate chip cookies, brown butter chocolate chip cookies, brown butter