Brown butter chocolate chip cookies are an elevated version of a classic recipe. They’re rich, chewy, gooey, and loaded with chocolate chunks.
- 1 1/4 cups (145g) cake flour
- 2/3 cup (100g) bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp unsalted butter, browned
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 5 oz dark chocolate, chopped
- Maldon sea salt for sprinkling
- Start by browning the butter. In a saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat, stirring occasionally at first. The surface will begin to form bubbles.
- The butter will come to a boil and the bubbles will begin to turn to foam after about 5 minutes. Stir constantly until the butter reaches an amber color and gives off a nutty aroma (this happens fast so don’t walk away).
- It might be difficult to see past the foam, but keep stirring and you’ll see specks of brown mixing into the foam and the brown butter will peak through with each stir.
- When it’s done, pour it into a glass measuring cup. Scrape down the bottom of the pan because you don’t want to miss those brown bits at the bottom. Make sure it measures 1 cup. If it’s a little over, take some out. If it’s a little under, add some water.
- Place it in the fridge to cool down. Don’t leave it in for more than 30 minutes. It should be a liiiiittle warm to the touch but not hot.
- While the butter chills, chop the chocolate.
- Then, combine the flours, salt, and baking soda in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sugars, espresso powder, and cooled brown butter. It will not be smooth, but do your best to combine the ingredients.
- Mix in the vanilla, lemon juice, and eggs. Finally, slowly incorporate the dry ingredients until the dough comes together – careful not to over mix. Fold in the chocolate.
- Using a large 2 oz cookie scoop, scoop out the cookie dough onto a cookie sheet lined with wax paper to prep for the fridge. Recipe makes 12-13 large cookies. Refrigerate uncovered for at least 4 hours but preferably overnight.
- Once chilled, preheat the oven to 350F and bake the cookies for 12-14 minutes. Space the cookies about 2 inches apart. You’re looking for golden brown edges and a pale doughy center.
- Sprinkle with some sea salt when they’re fresh from the oven then transfer to a cooling rack. Careful when transferring as the cookies will still be soft.
- Cool completely before eating. Enjoy!
Keywords: chocolate chip cookies, the best chocolate chip cookies, brown butter chocolate chip cookies, brown butter