These moist apple cider donuts are baked to perfection, and are completely dairy free with the option to make them gluten free as well!
- 1 1/4 cup apple cider, reduced to 1/3 cup
- 1 cinnamon stick
Apple Cider Donuts
- 2 cups (255g) all purpose flour or gluten free flour*
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup (100g) light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (55g) melted coconut oil, or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup (60ml) almond milk, or regular milk
- 3 tbsp unsweetened apple sauce
Cinnamon Sugar Coating
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, melted (use vegan butter for dairy free)
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pour the apple cider into a saucepan with the cinnamon stick. Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer until it reduces down to 1/3 cup. Pour into a measuring glass to ensure you have exactly 1/3 cup. If you’re just a hair short, top it off with a bit more fresh apple cider. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350F and bring out your donut pans, enough to make 12 donuts.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and spices. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, sugar, egg, vanilla, melted oil, and warm cider. The cider can be warm to the touch, but not hot.
- Then whisk in the almond milk and apple sauce.
- Pour in the dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Pour the batter into a piping bag, or a large zip lock bag, and snip off the tip or corner.
- Lightly spray the donut pans with nonstick spray and pipe the batter into each cavity, filling each about 3/4 full and using up all of the batter.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean with a few moist crumbs.
- Allow the donuts to cool for about 10 minutes, then carefully remove them from the pan and place on to a cooling rack.
- For the coating, melt the butter in the microwave and combine the sugar and cinnamon in a separate dish.
- Coat the donuts by dunking in the butter, allowing any excess to drip off, and then toss in the cinnamon sugar.
- Now they’re ready to enjoy!
GLUTEN FREE FLOUR – I have tested this with gluten free flour as well and they turned out great! But I recommend weighing the flour rather than measure by cups, as it’s very easy to use too much when measuring. The flour I use is Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten Free Baking Flour.
Keywords: apple cider donuts, baked apple cider donuts, apple cider donut recipe