These are the BEST sugar cookies. They are dense, doughy, and slightly chewy on the outside. It’s like making bakery-style sugar cookies in your own kitchen.
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour (175g)
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (192g)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted (220g)
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar (250g)
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar (50g)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
- Sparkling sugar, for sprinkling on top
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (cake flour, all purpose flour, salt, and baking soda) and set aside.
- In another bowl, using a hand or stand mixer with the paddle attachment, mix together the melted butter and sugars on medium speed until it completely comes together.
- Mix in the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla.
- Mix in the dry ingredients in thirds until it all comes together. Careful not to over mix since we’re going for a more dense but tender cookie.
- Line a plate or small cookie sheet with wax paper or parchment paper. You will not be baking on this sheet.
- Using a large 2 oz scoop, scoop out the dough and set them side by side on your tray. You want them to be nice and rounded, do not flatten. Place them in the fridge for 1-2 hours or until chilled solid. You want them to be almost rock hard when you put them in the oven.
- When ready, preheat the oven to 375F. Place 4-5 cookies about 3 inches apart on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 12-14 minutes. 12 lends a more doughy center so add on a couple minutes if you want a more baked cookie. You’re looking for a LIGHT golden brown edge. They’ll still look pretty pale in the middle but they will darken slightly as they cool.
- Transfer to a cooling rack. While they’re still warm, you can sprinkle the cookies with sparking sugar to get that bakery-style look.
- These cookies can be enjoyed fresh from the oven or the next day. When fresh, they’ll be VERY soft in the middle but at room temperature, they’re perfectly tender and chewy. They’re delicious either way!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Chill Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
Keywords: sugar cookies, sugar cookie recipe, chewy sugar cookies, soft sugar cookies