These Brownie Cookies with Caramelized White Chocolate are so fun to make! They have that ooey gooey brownie center with the nutty caramelized white chocolate flavor.
- 1 11oz bag Ghirardelli white chocolate chips*
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp espresso powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Start by making your caramelized white chocolate. You’ll want to make this a day ahead or at least 3 hours in advance to baking the cookies.
- Preheat your oven to 250F and place a silicone baking mat on a large cookie sheet. Evenly distribute the entire bag of white chocolate chips on the mat and bake for 10 minutes.
- Once the 10 minutes is up, take the pan out and spread the chocolate evenly with an offset spatula.
- Bake again for 10 minutes then scrape up the entirety of the pan to spread it out again. After the second or third time, the chocolate will begin to clump and look like it’s totally ruined but don’t worry, just work through it!
- Continue this process 5 more times until you get that rich butterscotch color. It will also get easier and easier to smooth out.
- After the last time, spread it out nice and thin so you can break it up into shards for the cookies. Let it sit out to harden. 2-3 hours.
- When the chocolate has hardened, break it up into big pieces and place into a container to refrigerate while you make the cookie dough.
- Preheat your oven to 350F and prepare enough pans so that you can scoop out 10-12 large cookies and bake them all at once. This is the key to getting that crinkled brownie top.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, espresso powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt your chocolate and butter over medium heat. Stir constantly so you don’t burn the bottom. Once melted, remove from the heat to cool down.
- Using an electric mixer and the whisk attachment, whip the sugars and eggs on medium-high speed for about 5 minutes. It should look pale and frothy.
- Turn the speed down and slowly mix in the melted chocolate.
- Once combined, scrape down the sides of the bowl and fold in the dry ingredients using a rubber spatula. Don’t over mix.
- Toss in your shards of caramelized white chocolate and carefully fold them in. Give it a couple turns so that they’re evenly incorporated but you don’t want to break them up too much.
- The dough will look more like brownie batter but they’ll still turn into cookies! Don’t let it sit too long as it will thicken. We don’t want that to happen.
- Scoop out the dough using a large ice cream scoop (or 1/4 cup). Bake all of the cookies at once for 12-13 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool on a cooling rack for 15-20 minutes then eat right away! They’re the best when they’re fresh from the oven. To store, keep them in an air tight container at room temperature.
The white chocolate you use is very important. Use Ghirardelli or any chocolate of higher quality. NO Nestle or Hershey’s.
Keywords: caramelized white chocolate, brownie cookies, cookie recipe