This easy chocolate sheet cake recipe is the perfect Valentine’s Day dessert! It’s topped with naturally flavored sprinkles and a rich chocolate frosting.
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (60g) dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup (220g) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups (400g) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp instant espresso powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup (240ml) buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (140g) 2% greek yogurt
- Wilton naturally flavored rich chocolate icing
- Wilton naturally flavored heart confetti sprinkles
- Wilton naturally flavored vanilla jimmies sprinkles
- Preheat your oven to 350F and grease the bottom and sides of a 9×13 baking pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda. Whisk together so that all ingredients evenly distributed.
- In a small cup or bowl, mix together the buttermilk and greek yogurt. It might look clumpy but it will smooth out once mixed into the batter.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, mix together the butter and sugar (using the paddle attachment) until well combined. Then mix in the espresso powder, vanilla, and oil. Once that’s combined, mix in the eggs one at a time.
- With the mixer on low-medium speed, alternate adding your flour and buttermilk mixtures, ending on the flour mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it even with an offset spatula. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean with a few moist crumbs.
- Let it cool completely in the pan before frosting. If you plan on removing the entire cake from the pan, cover it in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for an hour. Once chilled, flip the cake out onto a baking sheet then flip it back onto the service you’ll be serving it on.
- When the cake is completely cooled, scoop out your entire can of Wilton chocolate icing into a bowl and whisk it on high using a hand or stand mixer. It only takes a couple minutes and will turn pale in color when ready.
- Plop all of the frosting into the center of the cake and use a large icing spatula to spread it even, making large swooping motions. Top with the vanilla jimmies and then the heart confetti sprinkles. Serve immediately or cover in plastic wrap and store in the fridge. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
Keywords: chocolate sheet cake, sheet cake recipe