These super soft chocolate fudge cookies are stuffed full with SunButter! The gooey sunflower seed butter tastes delicious with the rich and chocolatey cookie. Plus, they’re super ooey gooey which is all you can ask for in a cookie!
These chocolate fudge cookies are soft, delicate, and super chocolatey. Think boxed brownie mix meets sugar cookies.
They’re loaded with my favorite nut butter alternative – SunButter. The texture is exactly like peanut butter, making it the perfect ingredient for nut allergy sufferers.
These cookies are extra ooey gooey, making them absolutely irresistible!
How to stuff a cookie with SunButter
I’m no stranger to stuffing cookies. It’s one of my favorite baking tricks that I’ve implemented into two other cookie recipes (my best ever peanut butter cookies and pumpkin cheesecake cookies). I definitely won’t stop there!
Stuffing cookies is super simple. I use a small cookie scoop and scoop out 8-10 mounds of SunButter onto a plate lined with wax paper.
Pop them in the freezer for about 30 minutes while you make the cookie dough. Then, scoop out your cookie dough using a large ice cream scoop and flatten them slightly in your palm.
Place a piece of cold SunButter into the center and close the dough around it. Roll it in your hands to seal and toss in some sugar for a sweet coating. Then bake! It’s that easy.
The best cocoa powder to bake with
Since I didn’t use any chocolate to make these chocolate fudge cookies, I made sure to use good quality cocoa powder.
This can make a huge difference in your chocolate desserts. For me, the norm is dutch process cocoa powder because it lends a rich chocolate color and flavor.
Dutch process cocoa has a smoother and more mellow flavor. It also has a lower acidity level compared to regular cocoa powder, meaning it relies on chemical leaveners in recipes that need to rise.
How to bake your stuffed chocolate fudge cookies
Because these are stuffed with SunButter, it’s important that the cookies are completely sealed before baking. Make sure to place the seam side down to prevent any leaking from happening.
Thankfully, this is a dough you don’t have to chill! Contrary to a majority of my cookie recipes (except my easy chocolate chip cookies), these have plenty of flour which helps hold its shape without refrigeration.
When placing them on the cookie sheet, only bake 4-5 at a time. These are large cookies that spread quite a bit. You’ll know they’re done when the edges start to crack.
Make sure to tag me @butternutbakery on Instagram if you make these SunButter stuffed chocolate fudge cookies. I love seeing my recipes come to life in YOUR kitchen! To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card, the buttons above or below this post, or on any of the photos above. Happy baking!
Shop the post
These ooey gooey chocolate fudge cookies are stuffed with creamy SunButter. They’re super indulgent and pack a ton of flavor!
- Using a small cookie scoop or a heaping teaspoon, scoop out your SunButter onto a plate lined with wax paper. Pop this in the freezer for 30 minutes while you make the cookie dough.
- For the cookies, preheat the oven to 375F and line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Then mix in the egg and vanilla.
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients just until combined. Don’t over mix.
- With a large ice cream scoop or 1/4 cup, scoop out the cookie dough and slightly flatten it in your palm. Place a cold ball of SunButter in the center and close the cookie around it. Roll the ball in your hands to seal it off then toss to coat in some granulated sugar.
- Continue to do this until you get 8-10 cookies. Bake about 4-5 cookies at a time for 8-10 minutes or until the edges start to crack. Leave the second batch in the fridge while the first one bakes. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely before eating. Enjoy!
Keywords: stuffed cookie, chocolate cookies, sunbutter