This strawberry shortcake recipe is made with roasted strawberries, cream cheese whip, and flaky buttermilk biscuits.
- 1 1/2 lb fresh strawberries, halved
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 3 cups (410g) all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup (55g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (optional)
- 10 tbsp (140g) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1 cup (230g) buttermilk* + more for brushing on top of the biscuits
- Raw sugar for sprinkling
Cream Cheese Whip
- 4oz cream cheese, softened
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (180g) heavy cream
- Preheat your oven to 350F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread the strawberries in an even layer on the baking sheet.
- Top with a good squeeze of half a lemon (not the whole half, just enough to lightly coat the tops of the strawberries) and sprinkle on the sugar.
- Bake for 8 minutes, toss, then another 8 minutes. They should be softened and juicy. Allow the berries to cool while you make the biscuits.
- Preheat the oven to 400F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Toss in the cold and cubed butter and work it into the dry ingredient using your fingers or a pastry cutter. It should turn dry and lumpy, with the butter broken down into small pieces throughout the mixture.
- Pour in the buttermilk and mix with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. It should turn into a shaggy dough.
- Dump out onto a lightly floured surface and work the dough until it forms a large mass. Press that into a square about 1 inch thick and cut the square into 4 pieces.
- Stack the pieces on top of each other and press down into a large rectangle. Cut it into 6 biscuits and transfer to the baking sheet.
- Brush the tops with some buttermilk or regular milk and sprinkle with raw sugar. You can also use granulated sugar if you don’t have raw.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the tops are lightly golden.
- Allow the biscuits to cool slightly while you make the whip.
Cream Cheese Whip
- Using an electric mixer with the whisk attachment (or a hand mixer) mix together the cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
- Pour in the heavy cream and mix on high speed until the mixture turns light, soft, and airy.
- With the biscuits cooled, slice in half and spoon on a helping of the roasted strawberries. Top with a dollop of the cream cheese whip and place the other half of the biscuit on top (I reversed this order for presentation purposes in this post, but placing the strawberries first allows the juices to soak into the biscuit). Now dig in!
*BUTTERMILK – Instead of purchasing buttermilk, you can make your own by combining 1 cup of whole milk (minus 1 tbsp) and 1 tbsp vinegar. Let it sit for about 10 minutes to thicken and curdle before use.
Keywords: strawberry shortcake, strawberry shortcakes, shortcake recipe